Skip to main content

My Name is Mom, and I am a Recipe Hoarder


I wish I had a photo of last night's dinner.  Remember when I said I was increasing our salmon and greens?  Well last night I dug out two recipes from the pile.


Salmon Oat Cakes
Mashed Potatoes and Kale

Now, the Salmon recipe is from Clean Eating, and does come with a recipe for red potatoes and greens, but I had kale on hand, so hence the other recipe.  The link the magazine includes on this magazine page, does not work.   I could not find this recipe anywhere on their site, so I wrote out instructions below, for the salmon recipe.

My kids devoured both the salmon and the potatoes.  For the potatoes I simply made garlic mashed potatoes, and wilted the kale in another pan, and mixed them into the potatoes.  I wilted them (about 4 cups diced, stems removed), in 1/2 cup water and a about a Tablespoon of organic soy sauce.

I did not have green onions on hand.  Even my dehydrated stash is depleted.  I did have some very small, last of the the harvest, yellow onions (from the garden).  I simply chopped them finely, and the oat cakes still tasted wonderful.  It was well worth spending the $22.00 on salmon.  I'd rather spend $22.00 then a lifetime in doctor's offices, so this recipe is going in the recipe box, and out of the hoarded pile.

I have a huge pile to go through, and my brother sent me his stash of salmon recipes too.  I just may have to see about fishing for my own salmon this summer (or next).

Speaking of doctor's offices.  Hmpf.  I have bronchitis.  Lovely, right?  As hard as I tried to stay healthy this winter, this just irritates me.

I'm off to pick up my medications today, and hope to find some pepper spray for my oldest daughter.  She's experienced two men stalking her, while walking at her apartment, and has relieved me by joining a self-defense class.  I will just feel better when I get her some pepper spray. 

Salmon Oat Cakes
3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3 - 5 oz. pouches wild caught salmon
1 bunch green onions, minced
1 tsp. ground mustard
olive oil.

Grind the oats into a fine powder (I used my food processor), and add 3 Tbsp. of water.  

In another bowl, mix the salmon, onions and ground mustard. Add the oat mixture and mix well.  Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the mixture, and press flat to create a 3-inch oat cake.  

Add a small bit of olive oil to a non-stick skillet, and cook oat cakes until golden brown (about 10 minutes).
(From Clean Eating Magazine)


Comments

Liz said…
I have been collecting recipes for salmon cakes. We love them. This sounds like a tastey one! Hate to hear you are sick. Hope those meds kick in fast! Take care and feel better!
Unknown said…
I've made something similar with wild-caught canned salmon. Much cheaper than fresh, and I buy multiples and keep them on hand. Sorry your pipes are still frozen! Hopefully you can get some heat tape, or insulation, at some point to help you guys out in the winter. Or maybe get a wood cookstove in the kitchen?
I've thought about adding a wood stove to the kitchen too. I will definitely be buying my salmon when I see it on sale, and stocking it in the freezer from now on.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart