Skip to main content

Clothesline Shoveled


Although I am still coughing a bit, I donned my winter coat and boots, and finally shoveled out the clothesline.  As most folks driving by will turn their head, I had a nice time getting fresh air, listening to the birds sing, and enjoying the sunshine.  However, I probably should have stayed inside.




Like someone said, if you run a homestead, work never ends.  I woke up to a low-grade fever, and went back to bed.  However, I forgot to take something for it and I forgot to check both stoves.  Wouldn't you know it?  The last to load the wood stove never restocked the  wood.  So, out I went, pajamas, slippers and all.  I brought in just enough to keep it going until I can get my son to restock it. 

We are once again undergoing frigid temperatures.  And you can guess that half the house has frozen pipes.  Thankfully, the hot water in one shower is running today (the other shower has still not thawed from the last freeze we had).

If these meds will kick in, I need to toss Kale and Bean soup in the crock pot (another revealed hoarded recipe).  If not, the family can fend for themselves tonight.  It's not a "crock-pot" recipe, but I'm making it one today.

It's snowing lightly here today, and more snow in on the way at the end of the week.




Comments

Willow said…
Oh my ~ take care of yourself and stay warm !
Sending warm, well wishes too you .
Don't go freezing like the clothes o the line ;)
Liz said…
The picture of the pathway to your clothsline is crazy!! Hope you feel better soon and no more pipes freeze!
Carolyn said…
I woke to a cold house today, but it was my fault....I slept in.

Hope you're able to take it easy and recover. Nothing worse than having to take care of everyone else (family and livestock) when having to take care of yourself.













Michelle said…
Sorry to hear you are sick. Try to rest and let your family baby you for a while.
EMMA said…
Looks like we are still having similar weather. We expect more snow tomorrow, but are lucky to have avoided the frozen pipes this year (so far).
Get well soon.
Candy C. said…
That's a LOT of snow! I sure hope you are feeling better! {{HUGS}}
Mama Pea said…
Uh-oh, somebody over did it a bit! But I'm sending you sympathy 'cause I know it is SOOOO hard not to over do when there is simply so much to be done. :o(

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart