Skip to main content

Thinking Christmas 2014 in February? ~ Hot Ginger Tea

Don't throw tomatoes at me just yet. Ha ha!  I found this wonderful book at our library.  It's full of edible gift ideas (many that are brilliant ideas for handmade/homemade Christmas gifts), and there are a few that I plan to try early this year.  Just sharing in case you are looking for new ideas.


We've gotten over 50 inches of snowfall this winter, and now we are about to get that blast of snow they predicted.  I'm fine with it, as long as the wind holds off.  Otherwise, I'll be hand shoveling a very long drive way so Hubby can get in.  My shoulder is still not healed.

I'm making hot ginger tea today.  I've been under the weather since yesterday.  My ear is congested and ginger tea is about the only thing (naturally) that will clear it.



Hot Ginger Tea

5 cups water

3 Tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger

6 Tbsp. sugar or honey

1 pinch of ground black pepper

4 Tbsp. lemon juice or orange juice

chopped mint leaves, optional



Boil water and ginger rapidly in an uncovered saucepan, for about 10 minutes.  Stir in sugar or honey, strain, pressing against the strainer to extract as much of it's essence as possible.  Then add the pepper and juice.  Serve hot.



Note:  The flavor varies depending on your choice of sweetener and choice of juice.  



I stored any leftover tea in my refrigerator and reheated as needed. 
    

The recipe comes from one of my sisters. 

 


Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
We're getting everything today...snow, sleet, freezing rain...I'm just praying we don't lose power but so far so good.
That book looks good....and thank you for the tea recipe as I love ginger.
Unknown said…
Did you ever see a doctor about your shoulder? Could be something that will need more treatment if you wait too long...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart