Skip to main content

Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup


On a whim, I decided to find a recipe for making my own condensed cream of mushroom soup.  There are many recipes I do not make anymore, simply because I don't want to feed my family those canned foods.


Low and behold, I found one online that won us over.  I found it at Simply Scratch.   Of course you can use your own homemade vegetable broth, organic or homemade butter, home grown shallots, and goat's milk or organic milk.  The recipe is equal to a typical can of condensed soup you'd buy at the store.

It smells so good when the shallots are cooking in the butter too.  Mmmm!

Note:  Use a shallow skillet vs. a small pan, and when you add the milk and broth, whisk a little in at a time, allowing it to thicken.



I am very happy with my results, and can't wait to taste it in a few family recipes.  It can be frozen too.  And you can bet, that I will be making homemade condensed cream of chicken and celery too.

Comments

Unknown said…
I hate that canned stuff, I won't use it. High sodium, and nasty. I'm still surprised it's sold:(
Cris said…
Well THAT is a handy recipe to have! Thanks--I've pinned it for later. :-)
Candy C. said…
I won't use the canned stuff either, blech! This looks lovely, to heck with using it in a recipe, just give me a spoon! :)
You are right about wanting to simply eat it vs. save it for a recipe. I am so tickled that I can mix these soups up and freeze them. with the size of my family, this will come in handy.
Sam I Am...... said…
Awesome! I can't wait to try it! Thank you for researching it for us.
Mama Pea said…
Oh boy, am I glad to have this! Same with me, I haven't made some of my old favorite recipes because of not wanting to use canned cream of mushroom (or chicken or celery) soup. Thank you, thank you, thank you! And the fact that it can be frozen. Whoopee! You've made my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart