Skip to main content

Mom's (Make Ahead) Dried Beef Casserole ~ Only Healthier


Today I am sharing a family recipe that came from my Mom.  Only this time, I made it using homemade cream of mushroom soup.  

As you can see, my original recipe card is well used.
 
This casserole is so easy to make and the best part is that you can make it up the night before, and simply pop it into the oven the next day.  And don't forget that your dried beef, cheese, and condensed soup (and even goat's milk) can be frozen (eliminating trips to town and saving you cash).  Having chickens to lay your eggs is a bonus too.

The original recipe also calls for American cheese sliced thinly.  We now use shredded mild cheddar cheese, but you could play around and try other cheeses too.

Simply add one "can" of condensed cream of mushroom soup (for mine, I am doubling so you'll see more in the bowl), and 1 cup of milk.  Stir until it becomes creamy.  Recipe states to cream the soup alone, but when you use homemade, it's already creamy (happy note).



Add 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, 3 Tablespoons finely chopped onion, 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni, and 1/4 pound of dried beef cut into bite size pieces.  Stir to combine.  Slice 2 hard boiled eggs and add them to the mixture.


Pour mixture into a buttered (1 1/2 qt.) casserole dish.

Cover your dish with a lid or foil, and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.  

Bake 1 hour at 350°F.  Serves 4-6.

Doubled recipe fits in a 9 x 13 size baking dish nicely.


This recipe was a favorite of mine when I worked full time, and had to drive 3 young children to two different daycare facilities.  I'm so glad by the last two kiddos, that had decided to stay home.  I was up very early, and I had no choice to use two daycare facilities.  Back in that day, most daycare's that accepted infants did not accept older children.  Anyway, I was a very busy Mom, and had very little time to cook once I got home.  And again, on my drive home, I would have to pick up my 3 kids at two places.  Those were some very long days.

This recipe is pretty frugal too.  I can't wait to try this with our goat's milk next.  I have to say, baking it with homemade condensed soup made a huge difference in taste, and after taste - no heart burn from processed food, and no over saltiness.  

I'm now on the hunt for USA made wooden recipe boxes, to start recipe collections for my kids.  We do have a binder family recipe book we created several years ago, but I want to use boxes for the kids.  I may just have Hubby make them for me.

I am making more condensed soups today, and need to make a trip to the store.  Another snow storm is heading our way in a few days.

Comments

Sandra said…
This looks delicious!
We are suppose to be getting another snow storm too, fingers crossed, that we get missed.
Candy C. said…
That looks delicious! My mom always made creamed chipped beef, or S.O.S. as my dad called it.
Unknown said…
What kind of "dried beef" is that? Jerky or???
Grandma Zee said…
I read your blog every day...really enjoy it.

I make my own condensed soups also. But I make a mix and then if I just need enough for a can or two, I can make it. The mix is also good for white sauce. Couldn't paste it in here so will look at your blog for an email address to send it to you.
Keep up the good work.
Grandma Zee said…
I couldn't make your email work, so if you would like the recipe for the condensed soup mix, please email me. I love that recipe, my mom used to make one similar to that.
Zee, if you click on the highlighted words (homemade mushroom soup), it will take you to the blogpost which has another link to the site where the recipe came from (Simply Scratch).

The meat I used was packages of dried beef I froze and had in the freezer. You can buy in either in the meat section or in jars too (or chip your own beef, which I have never done yet).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart