Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, January 15, 2021

More Cleaning and Purging

The best time to sanitize my washing machine is when it's colder outside.  I actually have a "sanitize" cycle on my washer.  It uses the hottest water and bleach.  

In order to do the remodel in the utility room (adding a bathroom), I will need to purge.  There will be a trip to the antique store and the thrift store this weekend.

My utility room/craft storage is a fairly large but oddly built room. I'll lose my coat rack, so I may talk him into building an room over the side porch for coats and boots etc.  An enclosed area before entering the side door.

Anyway, what's getting purged?

-antique sewing machine

-antique sewing chair (that has a compartment in the seat for storage

-antique table for 2, 2 matching chairs

-2 antique travel cases (from Dad's place)

-antique small TV (from Dad's place)

-egg carton lamp (I will never use it and no one in the family wants it and I can't be the one who saves everything just because)

-two boxes of books, one of odd stuff and clothing

I literally took me almost 3 hours to clean out the drawers of the antique sewing machine.  I haven't been in it since I last used it over 13? years ago.  Mom gave me her portable new one, so the antique Singer has to go. 

Once these items are all out of the house, I'll be purging more storage drawers we had under the counter in the utility room.  The kids had one just for the pets, so that one will go for sure.  We don't store anything in it.  I think we used it for portable watering units for walks etc.  Anyway, I have much to purge yet in there.

No snow here so far.  They predicted some, but nothing yet.  The sun was out yesterday and the chickens loved (and I as well).




10 comments:

Faith said...

It's THAT time of year here in OHIO gray gray gray..It so nice to see the sunshine. I don't mind cloudy days, but this time of year it's every day now, no snow here yet either. You changed your header picture? Or did I just notice the chicken in the bucket?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, yes I changed my header photo, but realized I need to update the saying underneath it yet. Yeah, gray gray gray. Yesterday it was beautiful sunshine.

Mother Em said...

Bet I have the same Singer sewing machine and chair I got from my Mom. Think I used 3-4 times since 1970s. Takes up too much room in dining room (just a catchall) and think I might donate to the sewing club here in town where the refugees learn to sew - masks lately.

Wish I had the bug underneath me to start purging. If only our thoughts and imaginations were real and with a snap, DONE ALREADY.

Keep up the good work.

Mary in Georgia

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Mary, I called the antique dealer and he said he'd look at the items. I just can't keep the singer sewing machine. It works, but needs work on it. Thanks. I am so happy with our progress this year already. I can't believe I had so much "stuff" around here.

mamasmercantile said...

Glad you didn't get the predicted snow. I had a go at the embellishing of paper clips and will share them on a blog post shortly. Thank you for the inspiration.

Henny Penny said...

You make me want to start cleaning out. I've got to! I'd like to visit the antique and thrift shops after you unload. :) Sounds like nice stuff.

Jackie said...

Purging as well here. I do have trouble purging things that my parents loved. Slowly but surely those are disappearing from my home.

Pretty sure "stuff" multiplies much like the dust bunnies that miraculously appear under my bed.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I can't wait to see them. Yay!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Henny Penny, I do my share of shopping for sure, but I am ready to part with my stuff too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, it took me may years to decide to purge these things, but if I am not using them, they are taking up space and collecting dust. I hope someone else finds use of them.