Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Day in the Kitchen ~ Compiling Lists

Although I thought winter would be a restful time and much handiwork would be done, it hasn't been.  We have been prosperous with starting small on remodeling.  It however, puts me behind in regular chores.

Instead of snow, we got something in between, like a mix of freezing rain/sleet.  There was a layer of ice on everything.  


Tuesday was a busy day in the kitchen.  First on the list - infuse a hearty nettle tea.  Second, clean up the kitchen to boil chicken for our dinner casserole.  I had to boil eggs, make a breakfast scramble with greens, and make organic pudding for a side dish.

There was laundry to do, kindling to fetch, firewood to fetch, chickens to tend, rugs to spot clean, carpets to vacuum.....long day.

By the way, fetching the firewood was a bit tricking with the driveway a total sheet of ice.  I have spikes on my boots, but I still had trouble getting the cart back to the house.

Dinner was Mexican Chicken Casserole, so I pulled some homemade creamed soups out of the freezer to make it.  I used organic Chia/Quinoa tortilla chips.

More lists were compiled - craft store, dollar store, groceries, a trip to Aldi's etc.  Aldi now sells organic white quinoa.

Today we have leftovers, so I'm truly happy for that.  Also, I heard back from the museum gift shop.  They want to sell my dish scrubbies (another happy moment).




8 comments:

Wildflower Adventures said...

It was a catch-up day for me also. Had a day off work from the job & worked at home. Karen

mamasmercantile said...

Thrilled you have an outlet to sell your scrubblies, here's hoping for lots of sales.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wildflower Adventures, sounds like we both had a lot to do. Have a great day!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mamasmercantile, thanks. I'm tickled pink I found one place that was a decent consignment sale. Most rent out space way too expensive for me.

Jackie said...

Sounds like a very busy day. I have spikes I put on my shoes or boots, but man sometimes they just are not enough so I understand how tricky getting the firewood must have been.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, you are so right. I have to climb the chicken ramp to go inside to fetch eggs and I slide down the ramp. I cannot wait to build an appropriate coop. I dug my heels into the ice before fetching fire wood to test the ice, and boy that was a job.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Be careful not to fill up the purge space while shopping. Such an easy thing to do.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, yes, that is so easy to do, but I am watching myself.