Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, June 7, 2021

Happy Homemaker Monday

I hope your weekend was fantastic!  We had a fabulous getaway to our favorite island, and it was much needed.  We noticed that we feel so much better mentally after a getaway.


Every marina on the island was packed with all types of boats.  The weather was great for our getaway.  We listened to live music on the waterfront, had good food (but expensive this year), went to two beaches and visited with our friends over there.

A one scoop waffle cone that our one daughter wanted, was $8.00 (cash only).  All food overall was higher in price, and one restaurant is not making their famous wings this summer (due to lack of supply from their personal supplier).





Today I'm joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
I will link up when she posts today.  I have to get outside to water the garden and flower beds early.  It's going to be a hot one today.

The weather . . .
80's, sunny, slight chance of rain

On my reading pile . . .



On my TV . . .
Heartland

On the menu . . .
-grilled brats, camper potatoes
-sheet pan fajitas
-grilled marinated steak kabobs
-have no idea, ha ha


On my to-do list . . .
-water the garden (unless it rains)
-run to town for errands
-take stuff to donate



What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating . . .

Still working on crocheted water balloons (just soak and toss - eco-friendly).  I haven't had time to work on anything much.


Looking around the house . . .
Daughter K told us she would clean up her messes.  We shall see if that happens.


From the camera . . . 

A few new blooms on the homestead.


Something fun to share . . .
My husband bought me one of these tools from a school fundraiser.  I have had it almost 10 years and used it once.  Didn't like it.



Last week, I was watching a cooking show and learned something new.  The good ol' potato masher works better at working ground meat than the tool I used to have.  I tried the cook's tip out on some ground sausage and it worked so much better.  Why haven't I ever thought of this?  Ha ha!


On my prayer list . . .
No requests right now.


14 comments:

M. Meyers said...

Happy for your wonderful weekend! Which island is your favorite? We went to Marblehead Lighthouse on Lake Erie on our recent road trip through Ohio and Indiana.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.Meyers, we stay on Kelley's. Put in Bay is too commercialized and Kelley's is laid back and relaxing.

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

Great kitchen tip. Your getaway looks wonderful what great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, you are welcome. The potato masher works faster because it's larger at the base. Love this idea and will use it often.

Chasity said...

Fun to hear about your island getaway!

Jackie said...

I bought one of those tools a year or so ago and use it a great deal. I find it does a marvelous job on breaking up ground meat.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Chasity

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, I was told by a family member it works great to break up chicken in a crock pot too, but prefer the potato masher for ground meats.

Luludou said...

Love the beach pictures. Chicken supplies are a problem here too and I have a friend in NYork and they can't get wings either.
Have a great week

Sherry Jolly said...

Your getaway sounds amazing. That top pictures is gorgeous! I am going on a short vacation in about 10 days and I can't wait to get away! Have a wonderful week

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, I am working on finding local meat sources. The problem is most cattle farms here feed their animals gmo corn. Sigh. I hope to find grass fed soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sherry, have a wonderful getaway.

mamasmercantile said...

Thrilled you were able to get away and enjoy a break. We pay a premium for living on an Island, they put it down to transport costs.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, we typically bring our own food over to the island, but the perch there is wonderful too. It costs us $102.00 round trip to get to the island with 3 people.