Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Garden is almost in. . .

Yesterday was a busy day for me.  Although late this year, I got some things planted in the vegetable garden - green beans, wax beans, zucchini, yellow squash, pie pumpkins, beets, carrots, radishes, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, green bell pepper plants, and mullein.  

I have more to plant.  Popcorn will go in next, and when my grow bags arrive I'll get my swiss chard, collards and kale planted.  We have resorted to putting down layers of cardboard topped with soil filled grow bags in place of building raised beds this year (to avoid high cost of lumber).

However, I have something digging in my grow bags that are already out there, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes.  I may need to put up a scarecrow this year again.

Our resident ground hot almost crossed the road the other day.  Our county pest picker-upper will no longer pick up.  It's up to us to trap and release.  I just may have to, if I can locate a release location.  I have eaten ground hog (at a historical festival roasted over a pit and seasoned), but .....

Our mower guy has been showing up again and taking that all day task off our list.  Thankfully too.  It's freeing up my husband's time to help with the garden and other things still on the long to-do list here.


No comments: