Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Buttery Peas ~ Rainy Day Stock Up ~ Something I Learned

 


We were watching a movie one night and they were talking about dressing up canned peas for a delicious side.  One day I came in hot and tired from garden work and didn't want to run to town for fresh veggies, so I dumped a few cans of peas (drained and rinsed) and dressed them up with butter, onions, thyme and salt and pepper.  Yum!

We have also mixed in yellow squash relish, but I don't can that anymore.

 I have a list of items that need made and stocked back up.  I save these to-do's for rainy days.



Pizza dough was restocked in the freezer. 

Something I learned . . .

Add cornstarch to your roasted vegetables for a crispier roasted side.  Suggested amount is 1 Tbsp. per pound of vegetables.  I'll update, regarding this new tip, after I try it.



July is booking up fast with parties, gatherings, travel plans and get togethers.  July also is the month in which Daughter E's boyfriend and his best friend were killed in a car accident.  There will be a large gathering to get with all of both families and friends to remember them both and enjoy each other's company.

6 comments:

JustGail said...

Nope, no amount of butter can help canned peas. I love frozen peas, but canned are just...nasty starchy blech, IMHO. Maybe home canned are different?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

JustGail, they were organic canned peas. I keep a few on hand for creamed peas over toast. Not my favorite way to stock up peas, as I usually have home grown frozen ones. We did not plant peas this year.

Rain said...

Hi Kristina :) Glad you found a way to make canned peas delicious! That tip about the cornstarch...I was watching a YT video from America's Test Kitchen on how to get amazing oven fries, and one of their tips was cornstarch too. Interesting!

mamasmercantile said...

Not something that I have ever tried but certainly worth trying for the rare occasion we run out of veg.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, that is good to know about the fries. Will definitely try it soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, it was a good back up recipe for sure.