Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 4, 2021

Kitchen-ness and Tidbits

 

Crockpot Queso

8 oz. organic pepper jack cheese, shredded
8 oz. organic Monterery Jack cheese, shredded
8 oz. organic cream cheese
1 4-oz. can organic green chilis, drained
2 herb garden green onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup organic whole milk
1/2 tsp. homemade garlic powder

Stir together all ingredients in a crockpot.  Cook on low for 4 hours or until melted.  Note:  Some organic canned chili's may differ in size, and you could cube the cheese too, but it will take a bit longer (block cheese makes a creamer dip vs. buying already shredded cheese).  Sorry for the bad photo, but my husband was gobbling it up, ha ha!  I do think it needs maybe a jalapeno next time.


Not sure if this is the reason my biscuits are flaky with layers, but it may be.  I watched a cooking show and if you "shred" the butter vs. cube you get a better rise with the biscuits.  I cube, but them use a butter blender to cut the butter chunks up a bit more.


I baked up some whiskey sticks for snacking.  I needed to use up some organic pretzels I had.

Not the best photo, but I finally got around to making biscuits and gravy for dinner one night.  I could not find my recipe for "fried" apples, so I used a new one and love it.  It's a "copycat" recipe and baked in the crockpot.



So thankful for the rain we got.  My garden and flower beds got a nice soaking.  The rainy days have also helped me get caught up with laundry and other indoor tasks.

One dose of Mother Nature's rain and the garlic ramps were one.  Now, if my radishes come up fast, I see some dip in the making.


I hope everyone is doing well.  I seem to see such a lack of blogposts lately.  Our state is back to normal thankfully.  All restrictions have lifted.  It has been so nice to see people's faces and beautiful smiles again.  I hope your weekend is fabulous!




8 comments:

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

love all your tasty tid bits Lot of good things to try! The country is trying to get back to normal. Now lets hope everyone gets vaccinated. Your right about how nice it s to see everyones' faces again. You take care!!

mamasmercantile said...

I am thrilled that some normality is beginning to return. I have missed peoples faces and hugs. Love the recipe for the crockpot queso, very trasty.

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

I will be making the crockpot queso for my son. My Gran always cubed and blended with two forks to make her biscuits flakey.

Henny Penny said...

Your biscuits look delicious, and so perfect. I have never made a biscuit that was fit to eat. Things around here seem to be getting back to normal too...at least some ways.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

linnellnickerson, thank you

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, it's been great to see everyone's faces again.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, thanks for that tidbit.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Henny Penny