Skip to main content

Updates ~ Tidbits

Homemade "vaseline" - I have used more than half my jar already.  After bitter cold weather (even with my face covered out there), my skin was very dry.  I even used this on my face when it was very dry from winter air.  I will definitely make this again.



Homemade hand lotion - we love this stuff.  I have gotten two update from people who were gifted this too.  So far, it's gotten nice reviews.



Homemade Vapor-Rub - Love this stuff!  I use it year round.  I do recommend using the coconut oil vs. olive oil for this recipe.   

I'm glad I have pushed myself to learn more steps in self sufficiency, and plan to continue.

Last week, at a recent trip to the grocery store, I noticed less fruit and less organic milk.  There were a few other areas I noticed that were almost empty.  Every winter this particular store has trouble with getting their deliveries in.  Keeping that in mind, I may dehydrate more fruits.  There was not one banana in the store.  I'm just noticing more shortages lately.  

If our trees get pears I plan to can those too.  This past season our trees did not have any.

I was actually glad school was closed yesterday.  The kids were behind in dish duty.  And I much appreciated the help shoveling snow.   We got 6.5 inches of snow. 


I had the time to figure out why videos would not play on my blog very well.  With the help of the girls, we discovered the one I put on the June 22, 2014 post, was way too long.  We experimented and posted a shorter one.  Bingo!  



We opened jars of my canned hot pepper (habanero peppers we grew) from 2013.  It was amazing.  It did gel up too much, so I'll be adding these peppers to the planting list for this spring, so we can try it again.  

I'm considering changing up my blog design.  Maybe if the kids get some free time, we can upgrade my very old blog header.  I love the old house, but maybe it's time to change it up a bit.


Comments

Kim said…
Is that a hot pepper jelly? I love pepper jellies. I also had no pears this year. Lucky for us the year before was a top ten year so I had plenty left over.
Liz said…
This cold sure has been hard on the skin! I am saving these lotion recipes for when I run out of my handmade lotion that was a gift. A half foot of snow? YIKES! Glad you had some help shoveling.
Kim it is hot pepper jelly and we love it.

Liz, I love the recipes. And they are very easy to make.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart