Skip to main content

Pinto Beans ~ Pantry Lunch Packings ~ Handiwork Developments



I finally broke down and rinsed our home grown pinto beans.  The piddly harvest....we all know that story right?  Either way, I am cooking them to go with breakfast burritos, snacks and after school burritos.   We get creative with breakfast burritos.  Which reminds me, I better open a jar of zucchini salsa too.



The roads were not that greatest yesterday morning, and I was getting over a very bad migraine, so my goal was to create lunch packings with what I had in the pantry and refrigerator.

I checked my ingredients, improvised on some, and set the oven.  I thought I'd better make more than one, to not waste heating up the oven.

 I baked two loaves of organic pumpkin bread.....




I baked a batch of homemade chewy granola bars (had just enough dried apricots, thankfully)......




...and because I had almond milk that needed used up, I baked these orange-walnut muffins (allrecipes), but improvised on the orange juice.  I substituted water and homemade orange peel powder.  They are not the tastiest, but are pretty good with a layer of home canned jam on them (quick breakfast for kiddo's on the run too). 



More Handiwork developments:





The baby blanket will take me a while.  I need 96 granny squares with pink flowers, and 96 with yellow.  I think I have two pink ones and about 16 yellow ones.  I just decided it was too beautiful not to finish the blanket.  

The squares can easily travel too, so I am currently crocheting the center yellow and pink flower parts first.  Then I only have to tote the other colors on road trips, camping trips and appointments. 




The current project is a #5 cotton crochet thread dishcloth.  I finished it two nights ago, and last night sewed in all the ends.

I had abandoned my netting over the last two years, so I'm digging it out, cutting the 10 yards into 3 inch strips, and rolling them into balls for future dish scrubbies.   

I had one strip of purple that was not quite 3 inches, so I crocheted a simple scrubbie and tossed it into our camping supplies.

Although it's pretty cold outside right now, the sunrise was beautiful (despite a few clouds).  Today, my only goal is to cook a dinner from the pantry/freezer.  I'm down to one bunch of organic collards, so I may dig out some ground beef and whip up a pasta, and toss in the greens.  I have plenty of frozen vegetables to pick from to go with it.  Dessert can be canned applesauce, or something with frozen blueberries.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
No doubt about it, Kristina. You're earning several Gold Stars for your efforts at completing unfinished projects. You've inspired me to haul out a baby blanket I've been working on (off and on) for a couple of years. Made it to knitting the ending border last night. Good thing I didn't start making it for a new little babe because he would be in college by now!

I complain now and then about preparing three meals a day for me and hubby but then realize I don't have any reason to do so when I think of you feeding your family with the hungry, growing kids plus lunches to pack, snacks needed, etc. You be one amazing woman!
Mama Pea, It is time consuming to prepare meals, and lunch packings, but I don't want to feed them Little Debbies either. Hubby thanked me over and over (he packs a lunch for work too). I'm not certain how long it will take to finish the blanket, but I'm chugging along. Glad I can inspire you.
Mary said…
Where do you find netting? I've been thinking about getting some to tack onto the dish cloths I've started making. I'd thought crochet or hem on a layer of netting on one side of a dishcloth to see how that would work. Any thoughts? I'd gotten back into using dish cloths as I kept reading about them being crocheted.. and as I've been teaching myself to crochet and so I started making a few to practice my stitches.
You so rock it! I have no idea where you find the time!!! Your loaves and your granola bars look amazing!!! Have a great week friend! Nicole xo
Mary, I find netting by the yard at our large craft store (in where they sell fabric). You can also save up the netting from produce bags, although it gives you a lot less to work with. I have made small scrubbies with the recycled netting, and crocheted an edge with cotton, and also crocheted around a round scrubbie, but I have not tacked it to one side of a dishcloth. It sounds very useful and could work too.
Sam I Am...... said…
Can almond milk be substituted for regular milk? I don't think it can for bread but if you don't know I may ask King Arthur...they have a baking hotline I've used before.
I don't buy regular milk except for cooking so if I could use the almond milk it would be great.
I shopped today so tomorrow I cook and bake! You won't believe what I did last night...I made stir fried rice with the last of my eggs and using brown rice and then at the end grabbed the soy sauce and put 1/4 C in before I realized it was Worchestershire sauce! AHHHHH!!! I'm eating it but it's not your usual stir fried rice that's for sure! LOL!
You reminded me I have pureed pumpkin in the freezer too and rhubarb. Time to make some quick breads. I love them in the evening with some hot tea. TTYL!
RB said…
Good gracious, for someone just getting over a migraine, a lot was accomplished; all I want to do after a migraine is sleep.
The crocheted washcloth is gorgeous and in my colors; my bedroom has been tan, aqua and white for years, and I love it.
Continuing in prayer for Sadie.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I loved the colors in the dishcloth too. We are using it now. Thanks for the prayers for Sadie. She is still with us.
Sam I am, I just used the almond milk to make eggless muffins yesterday. I'll post the link today.
Lisa B said…
Is your homemade granola bar recipe somewhere I can pilfer it? Pretty please!! LN eats Oats and Honey store bought but I'd like to find some recipes to home make them. Please and Thank you ;]
Lisa, I sent an email your way.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart