Skip to main content

Happy Homemaker Monday


I'm joining Sandra over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom today - 1/12/2015.




The weather outside is. . .



On the breakfast plate this morning . . .



I kind of made this up as I went.  I'm out of bacon, so I simply made it with baby kale and beets - breakfast quiche.  I opened a jar of home canned (spiced) beets for this breakfast.  The ingredients I used:  onion, garlic, chopped baby kale, fresh eggs, Greek yogurt, beets (canned spiced beets from this past garden season), and salt and pepper.  It was actually pretty good.  I saved some for Hubby.

As I look outside my window . . . 
~ I see the girls shoveling.  Two helped me for three hours, and I came in and traded with another daughter.  

Right now I am . . .
~ eating a warm bowl of steel cut oats and fruit, posting this, and about to bring in more wood


As I look around the house . . .
~ it needs a good cleaning to tidy it up a bit


On today's to do list . . .
 (in no particular order)
 
laundry
water plants
barn duties
clean up desk area
all floors need swept/vacuumed
mop kitchen
empty wood stove ash pan
shovel snow



*Personal, need to do list. . .
1. exercise(already did it shoveling)
2. write
3. devotional


Currently reading . . .
 ~ many essential oil books from the library


On the TV today . . .
~ food network


On the menu this week . . .
Honestly?  I have no menu plan - simply pull what I have out storage and create.

Breakfast ideas:  spinach/tomato omelets, steel cut oats, oatmeal, veggie hash with eggs

Lunch ideas:  soups and sandwiches, fruit

Dinner ideas:  Pumpkin and Sage Macaroni, Chicken Spaghetti, sauteed swiss chard

I'll have to go check the pantry and freezer.




 I am creating at the moment . . .
~ today I hope to finish a knitted dishcloth


New recipe I tried or want to try this week . . .
 ~custard cake


Favorite photo from the camera . . .

Tiger was so toasty at the wood stove hearth, I didn't have the heart to move him in order to sweep up the wood chips on the carpet.


Prayers, Inspirational Quotes or Devotionals. . .

1 Corinthians 10:31(NIV)

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Comments

Pamela said…
I love any kind of quiche! Have a great week.
Pamela, I love beets and this was the first time to try it in a quiche. Delicious!
Mama Pea said…
I would never have thought of putting beets in a quiche. Great idea . . . but I think I'd use plain sliced ones I have in the freezer. But then again maybe I could use a little more "spice" in my life and should use some of the 433 jars of pickled beets some crazy person around here made.
Mama Pea, Ha ha ha! That's all I have - pickled spiced beets. I guess in my excitement of canning I forgot to freeze any.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart