Skip to main content

Handiwork Developments ~ Home Canned Potatoes ~ Hand Lotion Update ~ Library Blip?

I am afraid to dig into more boxes, as I have found another dishcloth I need to finish crocheting.  I must have taken it camping, along with other "go-to" projects.

Here is the latest development ~

 Before


 After


On request of the kiddos, I used yarn stash to crochet a matching doily for the round kitchen table.  I normally do not put anything out for Valentine's day that is handmade.  We just fell in love with those adorable cup coasters.  Normally, I only crochet dishcloths that double as a doily too, but this doily is acrylic yarn.


Our home canned potatoes came in handy again.  With me having been under the weather for three days, and not able to get out for fresh potatoes (or fresh stash is completely gone, what can I say, big family), we popped open a jar of them for breakfast. 



My 15 year-old was making breakfast Saturday morning, and was expressing her opinion on not having any potatoes in the freezer or fridge.  I told her to go open a jar in the pantry, rinse them, and slice them up a bit.  They fried up nicely (she used organic olive oil) for breakfast.   She made the entire breakfast herself.


I have an update for those wishing to make the hand lotion.  This last batch of lotion separated.  There was a thick layer on top and water on the bottom.  I went back and read through more comments, on the original recipe (without a preservative), and when I poured it into the jars, it was too hot.  I guess they key to it thickening nicely, is to stir it (or whisk) it until it's cooled down, then pour it into jars.  I simply stirred it all up and will still use it, but it is much more runny than the last 3-4 times I made it.  It makes a nice body lotion this way anyway.  Just letting you all know, before you make it.  I do use separate (not used for cooking and baking) dishes for making this.

Five Minutes for Me ~ Now this one is long, so I hope you have a hot cup of coffee or tea to sip along with.  When I last went to the library to pick up books, I had checked my account, and was excited that a book I had ordered from another library was in - Jack Daniel's Cookbook: Stories and Kitchen Secrets from Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House, by Lynne Tolley.  

Last night I went to pull this book from my tote bag of books.  I was shocked when it was not in my bag.  Hm.  Strange.  I went online to see what happened.  Well.  I not only did not see it "checked out" to me, but it was canceled from my "holds" as well. 

I find it odd that the book didn't make it to my bag, during a month where the same library is holding a "cookbook" evening activity.  Hm.  


So, my "five for me" didn't happen.  I ended up spending that time searching my account, and putting the only copy of that book back on hold.  Oddly, it shows the book "on hold" by someone else already.





Comments

Mama Pea said…

Really like your Valentine table centerpiece. Those little hearts are the cutest things.

Hmmmmm . . . I think someone at the library likes your taste in books.

Speaking of tastes, it's getting near dinner time here and that plate that your daughter fixed for breakfast yesterday looks very, very appetizing! It's just starting to snow and having breakfast for Sunday dinner sounds just right.
Michelle said…
I think somebody copped your book. Your daughter did a great job. Her breakfast look great.
Mama Pea, breakfast for dinner sounds good.
Michelle, I was surprised at how well her eggs turned out. She has a bad habit of browning them to much.
Susan said…
How disappointing about your library book! Sounds as if someone 'skimmed' your book ~ I would definitely mention it, so they know you're aware of it. That is very good to know about canned potatoes. I have always hesitated, as I thought they would not turn out well. I think I will can my extra this canning season. How nice to have a daughter/son who will cook breakfast for you!
Sam I Am...... said…
Your centerpiece is so cool....I never thought of doing anything like that but how handy-dandy....the coasters are right there but serve as decoration too.
Your new doily looks so pretty with the matching hearts.
Good for your daughter...she can fix breakfast for me any day!
The library book thing sounds very fishy to me.. Have you tried talking to them?
Susan, I do plan on asking about the book on my next visit. As for the potatoes, I think they are wonderful for frying. They had the most delicious coating on them with simply using olive oil.
Sam I am, Thanks for the nice comments. Yep, I plan to inquire about that book.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart