Skip to main content

Handiwork Tidbits ~ Winston


Here are the "scrap" dishcloths I crocheted , using leftover yarn from various completions.  I have no business working on a new mission (I am starting to dislike the word "project" ha ha!) They turned out pretty nice.  I'll admit, I did try to color coordinate them, but scraps are scraps.  I found the pattern in a book I borrowed from the library.  It was actually a pattern requiring a different sequence of colors, but I simply used scraps.  Once I have the name of the book, I will update it here later.  Here's more to read......



(last Wednesday)

We had some snow the other day, so I took advantage of it and stayed in.  I played around with a second trial of homemade vapor rub.  This time I used more eucalyptus than peppermint, and it turned out pretty nice.  I also used coconut oil, and it makes a much nicer texture (and color) of rub.  Here is the recipe (but you can pretty much mix the oils to your liking)  . . .



Homemade Vapo-Rub
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tsp. beeswax
35 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
15 drops peppermint essential oil
15 drops rosemary essential oil

Melt coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler.  Remove from the stove and add the remaining oils.  Pour into a sterilized jar and allow to cool.  

Hint:  I used a recycled 2 oz. glass baby food jar.  This recipe fills the smaller baby food jar nicely.  



Winston is getting full roam of the house now.  He is still sleeping in a kennel at night, but he is investigating every day.  I have to laugh when I see him walking around with spider webs all over his face.  

The cats, especially Mattie, love to sit on the treadmill after it's used.  The warmth must draw them to it.  I've found Winston snoozing in all of the cat's favorite sleeping locations too.  Day 2 he was sitting on a kitchen chair, just hanging out, and his paws where hanging over the edge.  

....no phone calls for him either.   We even put him on a radio station, a flyer at the school, and anywhere else we could think of.  We find it odd (but then again the world is full of idiots) that someone would dump this guy.  He lets our pitbull mix (Alias) and our lab mix dog (Sadie) give him kisses.  Seriously.  Alias has a big, sloppy tongue too.  But, the reality is, is that he was most likely dumped. 

He needs a bath, but it's way too cold.  We had some waterless shampoo spray, and cleaned him up a bit.   

We seem to be the "dump" location for folks who are irresponsible pet owners.  We get cats or dogs every year.  Why can't someone drop me off a set of alpaca, or a milk cow, or a meat cow? Ha ha!






 


Comments

Ha! I can totally relate to being the drop off place for unwanted pets.
A milk cow would be nice. LOL!
Pat
Liz said…
Well I am glad he found such an great place to be dumped at! Looks like he is too!
RB said…
Goodness, I've made several twin-bed sized afgans through the years using the very same pattern (which I thought I'd invented myself since I can't read instructions well). LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart