Skip to main content

Tidbits and Herbal Tea Making

I have only tried my home canned pepper mustard sauce on chicken so far.  I know meatballs would be wonderful, but this time I tried it on organic pork tenderloin (in the crock pot).

Delicious.  Another winning way to eat from our summer stock up.  We topped it over organic brown rice, and had a side of roasted brussel sprouts.  

We are having another cold day. 
Suiting up to go fetch buckets and watering units, takes a bit of time.  Once I'm bundled up, I head out for three or four trips back and forth.  I can only carry two buckets, so it's out and in for a while.  Then come dinner time I get the pleasure of freezing my bum off all over again.  By the last trip, I am pulling the hood down to get some fresh air, despite temperatures that could freeze my eyeballs open. 

Right now it's 0°F outside, with a windchill of -19°F.  It's actually warmer than they predicted.  We'll see maybe a low of -2°F (actual temperature) today.  

Yesterday, one hen almost escaped during my entrance, and I had to grab her.  I was afraid if she got out, and into the snow, she would get frostbite on her tootsies.

I was up very early to put wood in the wood stove, check water pipes and of course feed one very annoying cat named Tiger.  He follows me around meowing no matter what time it is.  Once he's fed, he leaves me alone.

Since I was up, and my blood was pumping so early, I could not go back to bed.  I actually put steel cut oats in the crock pot for breakfast.  I figure it will be done before the sleepy heads wake up, and before Hubby arrives home. He worked the midnight shift last night, picking up an extra shift.

It's pretty quiet this morning too.  No traffic outside at all.  The only noise I hear, is the water dripping from the faucets.
 

Remember my post on our popcorn harvest?  

I forgot to tell you that we saved all the dried cobs, and they will be used for campfire kindling this coming camping season.



I've started drinking my herbal "high calcium" or "bone building" tea this week.  It's very tasty.  I have another herbal tea that I will be mixing up for eye protection soon as well.  




To mix my calcium tea, I decided to use a 1/2 cup measure for measuring "parts" in the recipe.  It really didn't make that much, so next time, I'll mix it by the cup.  I'm not sure if this tea will help joint discomfort, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.  I am storing this tea in an old tea tin I recycled from my Uncle.

Comments

Kim said…
The cold has been brutal around here as well. You take care of yourself and keep that skin covered up.
Kim, I forgot my hat when I went to the store one day and got gas. Brr. I thought my ears would freeze. I won't forget a hat next time.
RB said…
Ohhh my goodness, how I remember that heavy tiring water hauling when I lived out in Kansas City and had horses. The wind out there can be so harsh, it seems to cut right through your clothes straight to your bones. I don't know why that barn didn't stay warmer than it did with those huge animals inside of it and with every wall stacked high with hay in hopes of insulating it, but it didn't seem to do much and required hauling water three times daily to ensure the horses had all they needed.

They do make water heaters for troughs. I don't know much about them because once winter came, we gave up on the outside troughs and just used galvanized buckets inside each of the horse's stalls to water them. That helped us make sure each horse got their portion and one or two wasn't drinking it all, leaving none for another.

Prayers for you Kristina. Will no one help you haul all that water?

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, I have to water the goats that way too. We don't have many outlets in the barn, so we don't heated water units. The kids are all in school, and oldest daughter is gone a lot, so watering early morning is my chore. I sometimes get help in the evenings.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart