Skip to main content

Writing Mojo Needs Fueled

The wind always makes the house feel colder, but the wood stove was going good and strong when I got up this morning.

I abandoned all chores (aside from animals) and retreated to my room to write yesterday.  I started out pretty well, but found myself wandering to the kitchen desk, and fiddling around on the internet.

"Mom?! What are you doing?  Get back in your room and write something," said Oldest Daughter.

"I will, I just have to find something."


"What is that?" she asked sternly.  "That looks like a chicken to me!  GO WRITE!"

I printed my chicken pattern, and retreated once again.  However, I dug out a book that I use for recycled projects, and needed it for some cards and letters.  That's writing too, right?

I made my template and pushed it aside to finish when I had made progress on other writing.

Unable to focus, I flipped through a few of my writer magazines.  Maybe an article would help.

Once again, I found myself wandering to the kitchen to check email.  I was dealing with a school issue, and checking on Son.  Once again, Oldest Daughter caught me.

"MOM!!!! GOOOOO WRITE!!!!!" she scolded.

Unable to focus, I read through unpublished stories, and found many to be good possibilities.  Eventually, the kids were home and the house was suddenly loud again.

I grabbed a magazine, pad of paper and pencil, and headed to the living room to announce my progress.

"Okay, so this is what I'm doing to jump start my writing mojo," I told Oldest Daughter.

It's "Contest 64" and I just submit a sentence, up to 25 words, regarding this photo (as I pointed to it)."

"So how many words to you have so far," she asked.

"Contest 64."  (followed by laughter).

Okay, so I have a bit of a rough start, but today should be better.  Once I get bills paid, I'll be ready to zip out a good amount of words.

I didn't even bake anything yesterday, and will not be today, however pumpkin muffins would go wonderfully well with hot coffee or tea.  A writer needs sustenance right?
 

Comments

Susan said…
I'm reading a very good book by Twyla Tharp on creativity. She approaches it as a project, one that you get into your system so that you can face down your fears of starting. Starting is the hardest part. Hang in there - with your daughter on your side...you will be writing reams!
Kim said…
Good luck with the writing! Did you find your mojo? If not look under the bathroom vanity. Everytime I clean and organise mine I get energized!! Just sayin'!
Susan, I actually think my family gives me many ideas to write, but I often get side tracked.
Kim, I do need to clean something today to keep my mind from wandering. My oldest daughter told me to take a pad of paper to a coffee shop and "people watch." Which in reality, is a really good idea.
RB said…
Sending prayers your way, for you and your family. Loss is always so difficult, especially when the loss is someone who's been such a faithful friend.
The best any of us can do then is work hard to focus on the good times, for they are filled with blessings that help the heart heal.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am...... said…
Yes, starting is the hardest part. Also, just take it in small bits like 15 minutes a day to get your creative juices running. Write jibberish, it doesn't make any difference just as long as you are writing and pretty soon it will start having meaning and make sense. Practice makes perfect and like a muscle it needs to be exercised on a regular basis. I write for an hour every morning as my journaling and now, like a jogger, I can't start my day without it. I hope this helps. I'm not writing to publish though. Good luck!
Thanks for all the comments! Sam I am, this week alone gave me lots to write about.

RB, thanks for those prayers.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart