Skip to main content

Snow arrives...


I took this photo Monday morning.  Winter has officially arrived - rain, freezing rain, snow and bitter temperatures (but not as bad yet as last winter).  

Yesterday, although a bit cold, the sun was shining and there was a pretty good wind out there.

Larger towels were dried in front of the wood stove.


I've sort of been hibernating and ever so slowly finishing up some crochet and knitting ventures.  

I took this crochet project camping in August of 2014.  I found it in a bag in my closet while cleaning. . . .



It's now finished.  

My goal is to finish all but the baby blanket and then start on handiwork gifts for next Christmas.  

Way back in the day, when I got very sick with bronchitis, I started a baby blanket for an extended family member expecting a girl.  I had to switch gears and crochet an easier one, and thus the granny square blanket sat in the closet.  It is very nice, so I do plan to finish it.  Who knows, maybe my brother will have another baby, or I can always keep it for my own kids.  That one may take all year, so you may not see it too soon.

I still have a few more endeavors.


I spent some time in the kitchen mixing up another batch of elixir, baking and cooking healthy meals.  

The newest recipe to try was a sweet potato hash from food network (Neeley's).  I had to more than double it for us, but there was not one drop leftover.  I forgot to get a photo, but it was delicious and we'll be making it again.




The other morning, I made a potato hash and mixed in leftover chicken, and flavored it with jalapeno (previously frozen from the garden) and other herbs.  I topped it with a cooked egg...delicious.  




I also tried a new millet stew (there are many versions of this online) recipe.  I used the basic recipe with celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, mushrooms, basil, thyme and bay leaves.  I also chopped some kale and added that too.


I opened our first canned jar of potatoes for this stew.  I rinsed them first, and they looked perfect.

My home canned barbecue sauce came in handy too.  I simply added some leftover chicken (that we raised and roasted) to the crock pot on low, and poured in some of my home canned barbecue sauce.  They ate it on bread, for a chicken sandwich.  It was a nice way to change up the chicken and not let it go to waste.


The kids started school yesterday, but the day was canceled due to snow and bad weather. This morning they have a two hour delay, as it is -13°F wind chill out there right now.


I made three trips to the library in the last few days.   I'm already flipping through to research essential oils and so forth.  I also found the library book that contained the crochet pattern I needed. 

Comments

Kim said…
Our weather has turned quite cood as well. But juat a dusting of snow so far.
Kim, two of the dogs are having a terrible time walking in the snow, and I don't remember them being so sensitive last winter (when it was 20-something below). We may have to get them dog booties for very cold days.
Sandra said…

Knitting and spinning have been my go to projects to help keep away the winter blahs!
stay warm!!
Sandra, knitting and spinning sound fun!
Mama Pea said…
Our schools were closed today because of -35 degree wind chill. I spent the day taking down the Christmas decorations (finally) and replacing them with my winter ones. The tree was a pain and a half to get out because the needles were falling everywhere. I know I'll be sweeping and vacuuming them up for months! Still no more snow for us here either. Bummer.
Mama Pea, that is very cold. Brrr. According to the weather we might get snow in a day or so. It's pretty cold here again today.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart