Skip to main content

Happy New Year ~ Sister's Question ~ Popcorn Storage

Happy New Year!

I was out getting wood for the wood stove, and snapped this quick sunrise photo.  It's not the best photo, but winter sunrises here are difficult to catch. 

 At our Christmas family gathering, my one sister asked me, "so now what are you doing?  You're done with the garden right?"

To answer her question,
we just removed all the homegrown popcorn from their cobs, and sifted them in a strainer to remove debris and stored them all in canning jars.  We finished the job at about 8:30pm.


We popped more of our homegrown popcorn the other night, and only one or two kernels did not pop. 

We've really been enjoying the popcorn, and have to thank my Mom and Aunt for mentioning that my Grandma grew it.  Knowing that she did, I just had to add it to my garden.



Also, Mom taught us that rubbing two ears together speeds up the kernel removal.  Just do it slowing or in a tall, big bowl, so your kernels don't go flying all over the room.



I'm very happy with our homesteading progress, especially with growing an heirloom popcorn.

Now...anyone have suggestions on how to safely store some of this for next spring's planting? Just store it like any other saved seed?

Well, the last day of the year did not go without a visit to the ER.  My brother (younger) and I spent the entire day at the hospital with Mom.  I will be heading back up to see if there is any new test results and if she's feeling better.  Although the kids stayed up to greet the New Year, I was fast asleep, and if they cheered and hollered, I never heard them.  

Also, two more pets will need a vet visit now.  Ugh is right.  Jesse, the one who recently had a very large tumor removed in October, will most likely need another surgery.  The vet is out this week I am sure, with the holiday and all.  To top it off, barn cat Aurora came to the door with a hole in her side.  Literally a hole.  Not a scrape, a hole about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  She needs stitches.  Too bad my daughter (18 yr old) doesn't have more vet experience.  

A good friend of mine, dropped off a Christmas gift to us last night.  One was a bottle of chocolate wine.  I've never tried it, so tonight, after Mom is checked on, and all of our Christmas decorations are down and stored away for the year, I will be enjoying a glass of it.  

I hope and pray your New Year is filled to the brim with blessings, good times, fun experiences, much love and laughter, and relaxation.


Comments

Michelle said…
I am so interested in your pop corn. I have grown corn but never pop corn. I wonder if it will grow to maturity here? I will be pray for you mother and that you have a blessed new year.
Mary said…
A hole? Poor thing, it wasn't that she'd been shot accidently by a hunter, was it?
Mary, we can't find an exit wound, so we are confused and concerned.
Michelle, I bet if you grow other corn than it would grow. We had short stalks and few ears, and still got a good supply. Thank you for your prayers.
Mama Pea said…
My wishes for you in the new year are that your trips to the ER with your mom and visits to the vet's with one or the other of your critters come to a screeching halt. 2014 involved way too many of both for you and I hope 2015 proves out much better on that score.

I store our Painted Mountain Corn (regular for eating and drying) in the same box/area where the rest of my seeds are stored. That's worked out very well for me. You really got a nice harvest from your popcorn.
Sam I Am...... said…
So sorry to hear about your Mom...I pray she and your family get a reprieve from the hospital for awhile.
The chocolate wine sounds wonderful!
Sounds the cat got shot! That's awful....regardless....Happy New Year to you and your family.
EMMA said…
Happy New Year.
Hope your mum and the animals are quickly back on their feet. How on earth did your cat managed to do that?
I didn't see the new year in either - fast asleep by 10pm!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart