Skip to main content

Cinnamon Maple Macadamias

With the cold of winter here, we are enjoying hot oatmeal for breakfast.  Something (nutritional) we discovered to top it with is this recipe.  It also heats up the kitchen on a cold day.


Simply chop 1 1/2 cups (non-gmo, organic) macadamia nuts and mix in 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon.  Next. . .




Spread the nuts out on a foil lined baking pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.  Be careful to not let the nuts burn.




Take the baking dish out of the oven, and drizzle a 1/4 cup of pure maple (organic) syrup over the the nuts.  Stir.  Bake this for about five more minutes.  Cool on the sheet.completely before removing from the foil.  Simply break it up with your hands.

These nuts are wonderful on oatmeal or yogurt.  I just have to share.  The original recipe is from a book I own, but it's also online.  I just adapted it with organic ingredients.
 


I simply store it in a canning jar near the oatmeal.  It's nutritional, yet slightly sweet.   Kids, and adults, can easily pack a bit of this to eat with yogurt at school or work too.

Also, and my sister-in-law tells me that topping your oatmeal with chopped peanuts and my home canned Cinnamon-Blueberry Jam is delicious too.
 

Comments

Mary said…
Wow, sounds great! Sometimes when I make oatmeal, I cook it with some red quinoa, and before it's done I add mashed banana, chopped walnuts cinnamon, maple syrup or honey. I found the recipe online in 2008 or so and gave it a try. The quinoa add a nutty flavor and go well with the oatmeal
Mary, your recipes sound wonderful too.
Susan said…
That sounds wonderful! I bet it makes your whole house smell amazing! It's not easy to find non GMO, organic macadamias, but I might be able to in our local co-op.
Susan, I don't always find them either, but I do read the labels for additional oils. I bought Kroger's Simple Truth, thinking the label was organic, but not so. Last ingredient was maltodextrin (I believe to be from a starch, usually corn). I found additional bad oils added to simply "mixed nuts" before too. I just try to find the healthier brands.
Mama Pea said…
Love the flavor of those nuts and can get them at our co-op . . . but have to stop and get a small $$$ loan from the bank first! ;o) But all organic nuts are high right now.

We put some of our frozen (defrosted, of course) blueberries on our servings of oatmeal. I like raspberries, too, but they require a little sweetener of some sort.
Mama Pea, I love macadamias too. Yum. You reminded me I have more blueberries in the freezer. Hopefully in a few years I'll have raspberries too. I want to harvest the leaves for tea too. I hope you didn't have to get too big of a loan today.
Looks delicious friend! I think I may try something like this with seed as my little guy has a nut allergy...it would be awesome to have this on hand for breakfast! Stay warm!! Nicole xo
Mary said…
I love macadamia nuts too. I saw a special on them today at Market Basket and picked some up to make that topping for oatmeal. It sounds addictive, and I can't wait to try some on yogurt.

Kristina, it's a good recipe, only wish I could take credit for it. I remember the recipe was on the blog of an actress, whose name I can't recall. I think she was in the movie the Big Chill. I remember stumbling across it when I was looking for ideas to get my kids eat oatmeal
Nicole, I hope the seed you use works well.
Mary, I haven't checked the internet,but I'm sure the recipe is probably on there too. I originally found it in a book my Dad bought me many, many years ago.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart