Skip to main content

Randomness ~ Barn Kitty ~ Last Christmas Tree

It's raining here this morning, and the step is a sheet of ice.  Every dog did the "bambi splits" this morning.  Needless to day, the didn't go far to do their business.  
 
I can't really say I am writing out my new year resolutions, but I am randomly writing down a "wish" list of needs and other possibilities for this year.  Of course that is after a good strategic financial plan is in order.

Honestly, I told Hubby that if we only had one thing to reflect on at the end of 2015, I would be elated to write down
that we dug and built a root cellar.  It would not only make my stocking up so much easier, but our preparedness level would rise. And, it would double as a storm shelter for us (which we do not have here right now).  

I may invest in a dry erase board for Hubby too.  I write way to many sticky notes to keep him focused on the current jobs/needs. 

We were able to get an appointment for Aurora with our long time trusted vet.  In his opinion, after examining Aurora, he prescribed an antibiotic and said he was 90% sure it would heal without the extra $75 cost of stitches.  He felt she didn't need them in this case.  However, she is inside with a cone on her neck (which we already had from previous cat situations) until it heals completely.

I'd show you the photo of the hole in her side, but it's  not pretty.  We did photograph it, only because it suspiciously looks like a pellet gun wound.  Just in case, considering the suspicious flashlight trespassers just a few days before we found the cat like that.  


This is the last Christmas tree to get put into to storage.  It's about 21 inches tall.  It was my Grandmother's on my mother's side.  All these years Mom kept it, and my brother didn't want it.  I did.  As a kid I can remember visiting Grandma and Grandpa's house, and at a point in their lives, this was the only Christmas tree they put up.  It was on their console TV.    When I received it, the base was somewhat cracked and the light bulb teetered.  Hubby worked on it last night, and it's working beautifully.  There is a small crack under the base of the top piece, but I think I can fix that too.  For now, after 30-some years (maybe close to 40?), it's still working.  

We had one 1/2 pint jar of Whiskey Butterscotch sauce left, and with Son leaving again soon, Daughter (18 yr) baked more flourless brownies.  The sauce is gone now, and I told Hubby I won't be making it again until next Christmas.  I thought I saw him pout, ha ha!

Comments

Carolyn said…
Glad that you were able to get Aurora in to get looked at....and that it didn't cost more. Hope she heals quickly.

My Great Aunt made those Christmas trees for people WAAAAAY back. I swore I kept one of them, but now I can't find it and I'm a little saddened by it. She, too, kept it on her tv stand as the only Christmas tree during the holiday season.
Mama Pea said…
Glad to hear Aurora's injury isn't worse than it is. That is worrisome as to if it was a wound from a pellet gun/rifle. Is she okay with being inside since she's basically a barn cat? I'm sure she doesn't appreciate the cone collar that is necessary for a while, that's for sure!

My hubby will be happy to know he isn't the only husband inundated with sticky notes from his wife!
Carolyn, I saw many of those similar ceramic trees at antique stores too. I just took it for the sentimental reasons.
Mama Pea, she is a very friendly barn cat. We call her "velcro cat" because when you pick her up she digs in her claws and does some major "bread baking." She pretty much gets along the the dogs and the house cats. Tiger isn't so happy, but he'll have to deal with it for a few days.

Ha ha, had to laugh at your sticky note response. I think I used all of my supply this past year, ha ha!
RB said…
I have a ceramic CHRISTmas tree like that in storage. I made it long ago when I lived in a bigger house. Now there's little room to put it up here. But there is a woman who lives down the road who has one up in a side window of her house all year round. I don't think I ever pass her house after dark that I don't smile at seeing that little tree there, a pretty sight on a dark night's journey that means we're almost home!

A neighbor where we use to live shot two of our cats with BBs. He was convinced we had made one of his dog's disappear because it would get out of his fence, stand between me and a door to our house in our yard, and wouldn't let me pass unless I screamed for Bro Tom to come out and chase the dog away first. Scared the snot out of me each time, but I would never have made someone's pet disappear. I would have called Animal Control, but I never would have hurt the animal myself. It wasn't the dog's fault the man's fence had holes in it that he never did anything about.

We did get the BBs removed, and from then on out, the cats were only outside when one of us was out with them. Glad not to live there anymore.

God bless.

RB
<><
I do love the tree, and it makes me smile too. It reminds me of my grandparents and our visits and what we did as kids there (with them). As for Aurora, there wasn't a BB present, but the wound is eye-raising. If we spot any more on our animals (or her) we'll be reporting it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart