Skip to main content

Tidbits ~ Egg-less Blueberry Muffins

People driving by often ask Hubby if he makes me put the laundry out in winter.  Nope.  For show?  Nope.  It's my real life.  It smelled so good when I brought it in, and it dried completely.



I found yet another Hemingway book on my shelf.  Yay!  These are the last two to read, and then I start checking the library for more.  I started reading The Sun Also Rises, yesterday, while boiling pasta for dinner.



Yesterday, I was eager to start (and finish) a new project.  To motivate my writing on a quicker level, I sat the items on my table, and promised myself to write first, then craft.  

Did it work?  

Nope.

I abandoned my paper (some days writing by hand is just needed and/or desired), and grabbed those scissors. 

Tsk. Tsk.  I did not accomplish what I wanted, in the way of writing.  Not to mention we had other duties around here.

So, today, I plan to surpass all crafting projects taunting me, and write.



No eggs?  No problem.  The chewy granola bars only lasted two days around here.  Lunch packers nabbed those up in no time.  There were only five slices of pumpkin bread leftover as well, so I needed to make yet another packing for lunches.

The internet came to my rescue yesterday, when looking through my cookbooks seemed tiresome. 

I found an egg-less blueberry muffin recipe (actually there were many).  I decided to try one I found on a "vegan" website.  I'm not vegan, but the recipe did not call for eggs, and I had one egg in the fridge.  I liked this particular recipe, due to being able to use organic apple cider vinegar and my homemade lemon extract.  I did not have any lemon zest in my freezer, nor fresh lemons, so I doubled the lemon extract.


I also used almond milk vs. organic milk for this recipe, only because I had it on hand, and organic milk is almost $7/gallon here.  I also used home canned applesauce in place of expensive organic/non-gmo canola oil. 

How did they taste? Pretty good.  They did however, stick to the liners a bit.  They may be better off baked directly in the muffin tin.

Along with organic cow's milk, I'll be watching out for more sales and freezing it for preparedness reasons.  Until I have fresh goat's milk again anyway.

Comments

Susan said…
This reminds me - I have to make Blueberry Millet muffins again! Finally, eggs are not a problem. Wish we were closer - I would give you a dozen! I have some sewing that needs to be done, so I put it right out on my side table so I couldn't ignore it. I did. And started another knitting project. Sounds like your packed lunches are to die for!
Sandra said…
Freeze Dried Laundry :)
I need to get a nice laundry line.
Michelle said…
Glad to hear they turned out for you. I have problems staring on track too. I have several crafts I need to finish, yet I am dieing to start a pattern I got at the quilt show.
Susan, I haven't made millet muffins in a while too. Our chickens just slowed down a bit, but I did bring in some eggs last night (thankfully). Putting a project in plain sight helps me focus on getting everything else done to work on it. I would love to expand my knowledge on knitting. I've only made dishcloths so far (with knitting).
Sandra, there was just enough sun and wind to dry it. Most days here have been gloomy out.
Michelle, my oldest daughter was home yesterday, so she was the one to keep after me to stay on track, ha ha!
Unknown said…
We're lucky to get organic milk at costco for $5.99 a gallon (I think?)...
RB said…
You sound so busy all the time, puts me to shame even WITH my age (67+) and part-time job. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><
Nancy, when they clearance organic milk, I can typically buy it for $2.99/gallon.
RB, I do enjoy baking in winter. I can heat up the oven and not roast us out of the house, like I do in summer time.
RB said…
Wish I was a good baker. I can do mixes ok if I wanted to bother with them, and pie crust, I make the worst ever.
But my quilting and crocheting are top notch, so I'm not totally without talents. Praise God!!!
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am...... said…
I wonder if I could hang out now and the ticks would not get in my clothes? Do they hibernate in the winter? What I need to do is get a new clothesline but I'm thinking I just want to keep packing and move.
Sam I am, we don't have ticks here in winter. I'm hoping this winter kills more off too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart