Skip to main content

Dehydrating Orange Peel ~ Orange Peel Powder


Our grocer is finally carrying organic oranges, so I have been saving the peels and dehydrating them.

This is a first for me.  I've never dehydrated the peels due to not having access to organic oranges.  My plan is to use them for recipes for now.  We use orange peel in our hot cranberry punch, and now that I am making more teas, I think it would be nice to have some on hand for tea making.

I plan. . .
to grind some of these into orange powder for homemade beauty products and for baking.  I could even sprinkle some ground orange powder over salads this summer. 

To dry these peels in my dehydrator, I used the "herb" setting, or 95°F.  I forgot to time it, but it didn't take too long.

I don't use potpourri around the house, but I may consider putting a pan of water on top of the wood stove and adding the peels (if we get an excess of peels).

In anticipation of warmer weather, I am collecting more iced tea recipes.  I can't wait to try a Orange-Earl Grey Iced tea recipe from Eating Well.  It uses orange peel.   

Another recipe for us to try - Orange Peel Tea




Comments

Debby Flowers said…
Hi Kristina! Totally off topic, but I have been wondering whatever happened with Orion, the one-horned goat? Does he still have just the one? If so, I will share that we had a good success with using the elastrator band dehorning method on our doe Daisy. So far they are not showing any sign of growing back. Hope you have a great day!
Debby, yes he still had the one horn, and thank you for the update. His other horn grows downward and needs cut often. I'll have to inquire about that method with our vet.
I've used orange peels in vinegar to make a spray cleaner-- hadn't thought of dehydrated powder -- for so many things!
Pat, I was super excited to finally see organic oranges.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart