Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, October 2, 2023

Happy Homemaker Monday

 

Last Friday night's moon.


Saturday morning fog.

Sunday morning fog.


My husband and I tag-teamed and washed all the dishes that were laying around.   Then we sipped coffee on the front porch, but the bugs are terrible with the heat here again.

I had two of our apples go bad, as I have not felt up to taking care of them.  I am hoping that happens soon, before more go bad.

My husband also did a patchwork job on the chicken coop flooring, in hopes it holds until the new coop is finished. 


Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.



The weather . . .

We are to get our first possible fall frost this coming weekend.  If we do, it will be the end of the bell peppers and any hot peppers.  We are in the 80's for now, and the rest of the week, but again cooling down after that.


As I look outside my window . . .

It's foggy again, and the sun is up.  We both slept in, and my husband called in sick.  There will be a doctor appt. today.


Right now I am . . .

Making a pot of coffee.


Thinking and Pondering . . .

I haven't baked an apple pie in so many years.  I do not have a recipe in my binder or recipe box either.  Does anyone have a recipe for the innards of the pie?  Instructions on baking temp and time?  I have the crust.  I guess I will be doing some research online if not.  Golly, it's been so long since I have made one.  I may just bake a crisp instead.  I found a few recipes for pies in an old recipe book I have.  It will all depend on my energy level.


How I am feeling . . .

Tired, still congested a bit, still have some body aches, and once again a day with no work out.


On the breakfast plate . . .

Not sure yet.


On the lunch plate . . .

Have no idea yet.  Possible a turkey, lettuce, tomato, mayo roll up sandwich with thin low carb wraps.


On the dinner plate . . .

Have  no idea yet.  It could be leftover chili, so I don't have to freeze it.


What I am wearing . . .

Right now?  Jammies, robe and slippers.  I'm in no hurry.


On the reading pile . . .

Yarn labels is about all right now.  Just wasn't feeling up to reading yet.

I have made another discovery concerning my cotton yarn stash.  It will be a post of it's own, so if you are interested, you can read it or if not, skip over it.  


On my TV this week. . .

Any movies that look interesting.


On the menu . . .

-breakfasts:  Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes, Blueberry (local) Sausages or other sausage, Eggs with spinach or an egg bake
-Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash (still on the menu)
-grilled steaks, oven roasted sweet potatoes with whipped feta dip (this may roll into another week, depending on how we feel)
-will try and work on this later today (or this week)

Looking around the house . . .

It's not tidy again yet.  It will take time.  The AC units will be removed this coming weekend or early next week, and put into storage.  We really need fresh air in this house anyway.

The hallway pile up of tools is still awaiting the complete garage clean out as well.  I also have the binder deep clean job to finish, that was started way back when I started the utility room.  Some jobs just need to be finished and done with before winter.


To do list . . .

-work on stocking up herbs/medicinal herbs/weeds etc
-laundry, wash bedding
-work on a meal plan
-write up grocery/essential shopping needs
-clean camper (still on the weekly list)


From the camera . . .




Devotional, thoughts, prayers . . .

Well, I would say prayers for my husband and I, in regards to getting our health back.  We get to doing something, and start feeling exhausted 30 minutes later.  We are taking breaks, but would really like to feel ourselves again.  We are even taking immune boosters, along with medicinal teas, and whatnot.  I will be making a new medicinal soon, in light of getting sick.

 



10 comments:

Katie C. said...

Natasha’s Kitchen blog has an apple pie recipe. Her recipes are pretty good.

Hope you feel better soon. Sure sounded like COVID-19 to me. Especially the lingering tiredness.

Take care, Katie C.

Stacy said...

I am with you on just wanting to feel like yourself again. I'm really discouraged about that a lot! I feel like I put a lot off because I feel like I just won't have the energy to do it. In my heart I know it has something to do with the way the world changed over the last four years, but I'm with you, I'm ready to feel like myself again!
I usually just google apple pie filling! I know its a mixture of sugar, brown sugar, sometimes nutmeg and something to make the filling thick (flour usually, or cornstarch) but there's always tons and super easy! It's so yummy too!!! I find Granny smith apples to be best, they are just tart enough to counter the sweetness of the sugars in it!
Your menu looks amazing! I so hope you all get to feeling better very soon! So good to read your post this week!

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

I am so glad the weather is changing. Frost?? Oh my want have that here for a while. Hubby and I started walking again since the weather changed. A little longer each trip.

Luludou said...

Sending healing vibes to you and your husband. get some rest and have a good week nonetheless

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie C. My husband just went to town for a test. They said 48-72 hours for results. Thanks for the tip on the blog too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Stacy, I will have to see how many apples we have left. I've been using them for breakfast lately.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, they are calling for frost, but as I am watching our area, it may miss us. I would be thankful if it did not frost yet. I'm just not ready to get out there again yet.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, thank you!

Leigh said...

Gosh, 80s to frost. That will be a change! But then, this is the time of year for change. Glad you're feeling.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, we are watching the weather, and the frost may hit other parts of our state now. I am hoping we stay in the 40's to give me more time in the garden.