Skip to main content

. . .from the handiwork journal

 


. . .made a head hair wrap using #2 fine yarn.  I think it turned out super cute.  I have enough yarn to make a few more to sell, and use up yarn.



. . .finished the XL hot pad.  I gifted these to the family years ago.  They are great for 9 x 13 baking dishes at the holidays, or for baking sheets, your larger baking dishes and even pizza stones.



. . .made a few more dishcloths (knitted), and I am getting worn out making them.  Seriously, why did I think it would be a good idea to do one last craft show??  I have been timing myself, and it takes me almost 3 hours to make one of these.



. . .finished the crocheted strawberry keychains/keyfobs.  Daughter K was making a trip over, to pick up some home canned tomato soup, taco sauce and other items.  I finally got them done in time for her, when she arrived.

If you didn't read the story about these, I had made one back during the kitchen floor repair work (that was a year and a half or so).  I was playing around with some yarn and made one.  I later gave it to Daughter K.  She attached it to her purse.  Her co-workers saw it and pretty soon I was getting 3 orders.  I had no intentions of making them for sale, but I made them ha ha!  



. . . learned a new crochet stitch work!  I learned the wiggly/wavy pattern for a hot pad.  I am working on this being a Christmas gift.  I'm having fun with it, but lack the time to work on it.  I just needed a break from knitted dishcloths.

Also, the person who made the Youtube tutorial, said their template would be on their website, and it is not.  The pattern won't print correctly either, so I'm going by the photo and winging it.  I even sent a message to inquire.  I got zero answers.   It is supposed to be 8 x 8 inches, but mine measures 9 x 9 inches.  Either way, a cute way to make a hot pad, and/or use cotton scraps of yarn.

I started a second one using black (for someone with a black and white themed kitchen) as the starting yarn, and it came out smaller.  The ecru cotton (for the starting base) I used on the first is the same yarn company, but I had it for probably 14 plus years.  


They are not the same thickness.  Do you find some colors are not the same thickness?  It could be that they just don't make the yarn the same over the years.  I will be making the first one over again, but starting with a different yarn color.

That's all for handiwork updates.  I'll be back to update you on the Christmas present hot pads.  I think they are super cute, and they are so different from anything I have made.  The first two rows use a good amount of cotton yarn, but the smaller rounds are great for scrap yarn.  

The rain kept me indoors yesterday (there is so much to do outside and inside these days), but they say it will be going away today and tomorrow.  It's been on the chilly side, and more of a sweatshirt weather.  

I need to take inventory of my bulk herbs for tea making today, and write out a list for anything to re-stock.  


Comments

Mother Em said…
You had a shop online in the past. Do you still have one? Are you putting any of these new items in it or just for the craft show? Thanks and have a good evening. Mary in Georgia
Mother Em, Once I get things made and in stock, I will post here explaining where to find them (my other blog). Thanks.
Debi said…
I enjoy seeing all of your projects. I am knitting the same dishcloth right now and it takes me about the same amount of time.
Jackie said…
You are very busy!!! I hope the craft sale goes well for you.

God bless.
Leigh said…
What a lot of neat, neat projects! It's a real treat to see them all.

Yes, I have noticed that different colors of yarn are slightly different in size. I have no idea why. It's really annoying when doing something in stripes.
Debi, that is good to know, because I was thinking I was slow at knitting. I make mine to sell, and I am sure this will be the last craft show. I won't be selling them with a 3 for deal this year either. Too much work, and expensive yarn. I will gift them most likely next year though.
Leigh, thanks for that info. I thought I was crazy. I am going to re-make the first one, but with different colors and see if it ends up smaller. I may put the larger one in the camper or just use it myself. I do love the cute pattern for a much different hot pad though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart