Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Freezing Apples ~ Learned Something New ~ Apple Crisp ~ Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes

 Something I learned about preserving apples. . .

You can freeze them!  I'm so excited to find this out.  Am I the last to know this method?  If I knew, I have totally forgotten. You can find instructions at Freezing Apples.



I've canned apple pie filling, and canned apple sauce, but never froze any.  I'm keeping these instructions, in case I need to do this.  We do not have a root cellar.  A fridge will keep apples only so long, so I'm sharing this today for those who did not know.


There may not be an apple pie right now, but I managed an apple crisp.  It's smaller, less sugar, and flour carbs for my husband too.  I'm not saying I won't bake a pie, it's just not happening right now.

Honestly, I think these would be a great idea to freeze for those days you just don't have time or don't feel good.   The recipe states you can freeze them up to 2 months.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes (Lemon and Zest recipe online).  It makes 8, and I used 2 small apples from our trees.  It calls for one apple, but I'm dwindling down in supply.

I have found an apple pie (actually several) in one of my pie cookbooks I have.



8 comments:

Jackie said...

I have always froze my apple pie filling and cherry pie filling as well. Turns out wonderfully.

God bless.

Debi said...

Apple cinnamon pancakes are one of our favorite fall/winter breakfasts. I put chopped walnuts or pecans in ours. When I was a teacher's aide in a Kindergarten classroom, the teacher I worked with told me about putting apples and nuts in pancakes. I've also made them with pears.

Leigh said...

I'll be interested in what you think of the frozen apples. I wish I had a bigger freezer! Fruit anything is such a treat, especially in winter. My daughter adds apple slices to her baked oatmeal.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, that is good to know. I have just canned apple pie filling.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I put apples in our crock pot slow cooked steel cut oats too. It will be an interesting trial.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, that is a great idea with pears. Our trees did not have any pears (that we have seen, could have been taken by deer) this year. I will have to remember that. We do like the apples in ours. I will have to add some nuts next time. Thanks.

Nancy In Boise said...

I freeze them in slices to add with onions on top of pork chops, yummy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nancy, I was just thinking about making us pork chops with apples too. I will now have to freeze some for that. Sounds delicious.