Skip to main content

Freezing Apples ~ Learned Something New ~ Apple Crisp ~ Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes

 Something I learned about preserving apples. . .

You can freeze them!  I'm so excited to find this out.  Am I the last to know this method?  If I knew, I have totally forgotten. You can find instructions at Freezing Apples.



I've canned apple pie filling, and canned apple sauce, but never froze any.  I'm keeping these instructions, in case I need to do this.  We do not have a root cellar.  A fridge will keep apples only so long, so I'm sharing this today for those who did not know.


There may not be an apple pie right now, but I managed an apple crisp.  It's smaller, less sugar, and flour carbs for my husband too.  I'm not saying I won't bake a pie, it's just not happening right now.

Honestly, I think these would be a great idea to freeze for those days you just don't have time or don't feel good.   The recipe states you can freeze them up to 2 months.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes (Lemon and Zest recipe online).  It makes 8, and I used 2 small apples from our trees.  It calls for one apple, but I'm dwindling down in supply.

I have found an apple pie (actually several) in one of my pie cookbooks I have.



Comments

Jackie said…
I have always froze my apple pie filling and cherry pie filling as well. Turns out wonderfully.

God bless.
Debi said…
Apple cinnamon pancakes are one of our favorite fall/winter breakfasts. I put chopped walnuts or pecans in ours. When I was a teacher's aide in a Kindergarten classroom, the teacher I worked with told me about putting apples and nuts in pancakes. I've also made them with pears.
Leigh said…
I'll be interested in what you think of the frozen apples. I wish I had a bigger freezer! Fruit anything is such a treat, especially in winter. My daughter adds apple slices to her baked oatmeal.
Jackie, that is good to know. I have just canned apple pie filling.
Leigh, I put apples in our crock pot slow cooked steel cut oats too. It will be an interesting trial.
Debi, that is a great idea with pears. Our trees did not have any pears (that we have seen, could have been taken by deer) this year. I will have to remember that. We do like the apples in ours. I will have to add some nuts next time. Thanks.
Nancy In Boise said…
I freeze them in slices to add with onions on top of pork chops, yummy!
Nancy, I was just thinking about making us pork chops with apples too. I will now have to freeze some for that. Sounds delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart