Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Weather and Update ~ Online Ordering Saga ~ In Store Shopping Frustrations


Warning.  Grab a Java.  I did not mean for this to be long and winded, ha ha!  I also didn't realize it has no photos, so you may find that boring today.

We are having another 87°F degree day today, and tomorrow.  We have been watching the weather closely, and so far, our area will not dip below 40°F this coming weekend.  It looks like possible rain for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, so if the two of us are feeling better, there will still be a delay on the chicken coop (my frustrated face here).

Update on us:  my husband called our doctor yesterday, and there was no answer.  The answering machine said our doctor would be out today as well.  He was out last Friday.  So, my husband drove into town and went to one of the Urgent Care Clinics.  

First, he asked once again for someone to look in his ear that has been bothering him for weeks. Low and behold (after me pestering him to go get it checked), they found a tiny ear bud that fell off inside his ear from the headphones he wears when he mows.  Finally, his ear is better, and he has drops too.  Whew!  No more ear buds.  The nurse said it happens more often than you think.

As for the sickness, he asked for them to do a covid test.  She told him the results would take 48-72 hours.  Okay, this is where I'm confused.  When we got it two years ago, the test results were immediate.  What is he supposed to do about work?  We are hoping for an answer before his 3 days allowed off for illness are over with.  If it is positive, obviously, there is someone at his work going to work with it, and spreading it.  If he has it, then I have it (or had it).  I'll update when we know results.


 

Okay, here is the online ordering saga . . .

This takes care of an old blog draft too, ha ha!

One large item was literally dropped off by UPS in an empty box.  Please forgive me if I shared this already.  It was large box, and the UPS driver had to realize it was empty.

The box was opened, and taped back up with a new UPS label, so my inkling is, that someone at UPS stole the item.  It took weeks to get that item replaced.

Another time, I ordered two crochet hooks (ergonomic), because two stores have been out of stock for months.  They were delivered by UPS from Amazon, and the package sealed.  However, inside there was only one hook, and it had been opened, and the other missing (shipping said both were delivered).  It took some work to get it replaced.

Another time, I ordered a pack of yarn from Wal-mart (this was a while back).  It was a specific number of skeins with a solid color not available in stores.  When it arrived, it was a pack half the size I ordered, and get this.....a completely different color (and variegated).  

I had to go through hoops to get that returned, and stated that they shipped the wrong color and wrong amount.  It was returned, but they were to "replace" it with the correct color and number.  I am still dealing with that, but may just get the refund and look in more stores for something doable for a winter blanket project.  It was a really good price, but maybe too good of a deal.  Who is packing these orders??

I have also had Amazon email me saying they canceled my order once.  Not sure why, but I went online and it was still in stock and had to re-order it.

It took a month to get the bed sheets I ordered as well.  It has arrived, now we have two sets finally.

Most recently, I could not find what I needed for homemade granola bars, so I just placed an online order.  It was to arrive last Friday.  It has yet to show up.

On a sad note for me.... the Meijer store that is the closest to us (North), has stopped selling any crochet/knitting hooks/needles completely.  The last time I shopped there, the yarn was almost completely gone.  I have a feeling they are not going to sell yarn there anymore.  Sad news for us in the area.

Is it me, or is it hard to find items in stores lately?  I could not find unsweetened coconut, nor a few other ingredients.  It is very hard to find raw nuts around here as well.  If I can get one trip in to Amish this month, I will be seeking out supplies for us.

The grocery store that is the closest to us, has downsized their section for dishwasher soap pods.  I used to make homemade, but I may have to start doing it again.  They literally sell one type now, where as they used to have a good size section of chemical free dishwasher pods.  Unless I can stock up from another store for winter, I will be digging out my recipe for homemade again.

At one point, I realized I am my Dad.  I am buying my canning supplies for next season already, and writing the cost and date on them.  Are you buying supplies now, to avoid higher prices next year?  Or to just be prepared for, once again shortages or lack up items in stores?

2 comments:

Debi said...

Someone mentioned that olive oil is rising in price and expected to almost double in price this winter. I will definitely be stocking up on that. I haven't really noticed any major changes in the stores where we shop... Aldi, Sam's Club and Walmart, but there are some minor shortages.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, that is good to know. If you hear of any other possible spikes in prices, please share. It's hard enough to just stock up baking supplies with today's prices.