Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Dehydrating Mushrooms ~ Freezing Rutabagas

 

I had a handful of mushrooms to dehydrate.  I used my smaller "Dash" dehydrator.  It has 5 trays, and I can dehydrate with how many trays I need.  They only thing I don't like, is no way to set a time on it.  I set and watch it, shutting it off when they are dry.

Do you make mushroom powder?  I am reading up on that, but what I'm thinking, is why powder?  I just rehydrate for meals.  How would powder come in handy?  Thoughts on this?


I didn't really get a definitive answer on blanching rutabaga or flash freezing, so I opted for blanching this time around.  We do love them, so I will be doing this every year.


4 comments:

Kathy said...

I use the powder because I have a member of the family that likes the taste of mushrooms but not the texture. Works great.

Henny Penny said...

Gosh, you are so smart! I know very little about mushrooms or rutabagas. I cooked one rutabaga once. We liked it and I meant to cook it again but never did. Reminded me a little of stewed turnips.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kathy, that's a good idea. I bet it would be great with casseroles, and other meals where someone doesn't like mushrooms.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Henny Penny, we love rutabagas too! We like to substitute them for potatoes.