Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Tuesday Tidbits ~ Dehydrating Hot Peppers ~ Ground Fire Powder ~ Using the Last of the Garden Hot Peppers

 I'll admit, the cooler weather has been nice lately.  We've had to turn a few heaters on too.  The rain is moving in, and for several days.  








If you blinked, you would have literally missed this beautiful sky Monday morning.  It was there one minute, and gone the next.  I was lucky to get the camera in time.




Wash, slice and dehydrate the mix of garden hot peppers.  Keep those seeds for more heat in the "fire powder."  I used my mats to keep those seeds.  In the past, I used parchment paper.

Dehydrate according to you dehydrator instructions.  I have a small coffee grinder I used for grinding herbs, and I when these are dry, I grind them up, and pour them into a recycled spice jar and label.

It's a great way to use up all those leftover hot peppers in your garden.  You could freeze them too, but I find that drying them and grinding them, makes a nice spice flavor to add to meals.

4 comments:

Katie C. said...

I have some hot peppers that I dried too. Do you grind yours up by hand or blender or food processor?

Faith said...

When we went to Amish last week we tried a new place Sugar Valley Meats. We picked up a few items as well, and were well pleased with the quality of the product, and service was good. Got some nice bacon, ground meat & pork. When I have room in the deep freeze I'd like to stock up on a 1/4 of a cow.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie C I use a small electric coffee grinder that is specifically use for grinding dehydrated veggies. I posted a photo on today's post (Oct 11).

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, I will have to remember to try that place on our next visit there. Thanks for the tip. We last bought meat at Doughty Valley Meats.