Skip to main content

Recovering . . .slow going . . .

 One thing I realized being sick is, that I am on my own.  Too sick to get the mail?  Don't.  Too sick to do the housework or cook anything? Don't.  It was a rough weekend, as I rested to get over whatever I had.  It was bad enough, that I did not leave my pajamas for a few days.  The first morning I slept the entire day.  The only thing I did was let the chickens out, and that was also in my pajamas.  

I cannot stress on how I cannot wait for the new coop.  It will make my life so much easier in the way of layers.





My husband had brought home a pizza for himself, and chicken noodle soup for me.  The aftermath is yet to be cleaned up around here.

There is one thing I know now.  Do not try to knit when you do not feel good.  At least for me anyway.  I was halfway done with a dishcloth, and messed up, and just frogged it all.  I put it way until I feel better.

My husband was not back to himself either.  I felt so bad we had no breakfast made, no dinners, no lunches, no laundry done, no dishes done from starting to get sick.  When he goes to work, he needs a packed breakfast, lunch and coffee.  At least the coffee can be pre-set the night before.

Homemade Ginger-Ale Simmering (before adding lemon and lime from real lemons and limes)

On a good note, we had medicine, medicinal teas, essential oils, lemons, limes, etc. all on hand.   Thank goodness we were stocked up on tissues.  On a bad note, we live too far away from anyone we know, so we have no one to bring us a meal, or anything we may need.  Sort of stinks in that way, in where people tell you "I wish you didn't live so far away" and such.

We did have one daughter text us and ask if we needed any medications or anything else.  

I realized when I out for the count, and my husband is still not feeling well, we do suffer.  We do are best, but there isn't anyone to cook healthy for us.  

I will have to step up on this, and put some things in our freezer.  Any suggestions for healthy breakfast to freeze (I know oatmeal is a good quick breakfast) when one is sick, or even other meals.  I have never frozen chicken noodle soup, so I am wondering if the noodles go to mush after thawing?

When you are ill, what do you eat for your breakfast if you can?  Just hot tea and toast?

I could see a need for some homemade bread to go in the freezer.  Toast is sometimes needed during times of sickness.  Maybe just some broth in the freezer?

While my husband is still on the mend, he is feeling better.  I hope to be feeling that good in 2-3 days.  He said his lasted about 5 and then he still had to take it slow.

I forgot to ask.  What is your favorite wellness tea with either an herb or medicinal weed or store bought tea?


Comments

Debi said…
I'm so sorry that you are not feeling well. I find that chicken and rice soup freezes better than chicken noodle. I hope you are feeling better very soon.
Debi, thanks. That is a good idea. I will be looking into some more recipes, possibly with cauliflower rice too.
Leigh said…
Oh gosh, I hope you're better. Being a team is such a productive way to live, but when one is sick, both suffer. Off to read your newer post!
Thanks Leigh, yes when we work as a team, we suffer when one of us is sick.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart