Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Keeping Produce Fresh ~ Cucumber Tip

 

It was suggested that I buy these larger Fresh Longer containers for keeping summer cucumbers fresh "longer."

The tip:  I was told, when I bring in a lot of cucumbers, but cannot can them the same day, to immerse them in cold water first, then put in these containers.  I'm always taking notes for the next year, so if you immerse in cold water, is there a reason for that?

Well, out of the blue I spotted these three at a local grocery store about a month ago.  On clearance!  I paid $6.49 for the large one and $2.50 each for the smaller ones.


Our bell peppers were huge in harvest this year, so I put some in the large container, and I can tell you they stay fresh!  I had the ones on the right in that container for over a week, and the ones on the left in the bowl only were going soft in one day.

I will be buying one more larger container for summer harvest.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Wow, I've never heard of these. Thanks for the tip! With a garden, anything that can lengthen freshness is a great help! I'll be on the look-out to buy some.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, our larger "market" grocery stores put them on clearance, and now our smaller grocery stores are clearancing any kitchen ware. Check there or other stores for "Freshworks by Rubbermaid"