Skip to main content

Cheesy Potatoes from Scratch ~ How they Rated and Other Self-Sufficient Tidbits

Easter Sunday I decided to make my cheesy potatoes from organic potatoes (not frozen), and eliminate all the processed ingredients (canned mushroom soup, Velveeta cheese etc).

The results?


I used a recipe from "Simply Scratch" (online), which used a bit of my home grown green onions too.  However, it eliminated the cream cheese, and although these were "okay" and "not bad" (according to my test crew), they were not an awesome great either.

The family wants their original cheesy potatoes back, so I may have to experiment again.  For the above recipe, I did use a non-gmo organic chicken broth (did not have any homemade on hand).  I think I will bake it just a bit longer, to get the edges browned more too.

I cannot wait to make this with homegrown potatoes too.  Speaking of that, I am finally picking up my garden potato starters (and onions) today.  

Yesterday was a very prosperous day.  So much in fact, that I actually took a short nap.  I was that tired.  I have to get used to this outdoor work schedule again.  Needless to say, I did not get any "handiwork time" in my day.  I think the winter killed my dwarf bleeding heart plant, so I may have to replant one. 

My asparagus is up about 2 inches now.  I hope to harvest some soon.  

One of the elderberry plants already has new growth, as well as the red raspberry plants. 

Rooster (Sparta) is showing signs of healing.  My 17 year-old daughter (vet in training) takes him out and puts him in the grass to peck around and get some sunshine.  He's eating an drinking, and starting to get up when his ladies are let out each day.  

It's only April, but we already have two trees to cut and split (gifts from extended family on Hubby's side).  It's perfect weather for splitting wood too.  We'll just have to squeeze it in, on Sunday's, when Hubby is off work - one truck load at a time.

In my attempt to find real organic milk, I have found zero.  I even emailed a local farm in a nearby state, who sells their "local" milk at a store in my home town.  They were honest.  They emailed back and told me that the grain they feed their cows is not gmo-free.

Well, I must get off this computer and start my day.  I'm already late in getting my (intentional) exercise started. And I am sure all the animals need watered and fed.




Comments

Liz said…
Well the potatoes look good! I am trying to find some bare root asparagus to plant. Love that stuff!
Michelle said…
My potatoes are up and doing good. I am hoping the sudden cold weather doesn't hurt them.
RB said…
Yeah, gotta have the cream cheese (I use the ones with the chives) and cheddar, else...it's too bland, I'd think.

I haven't used canned soup for anything for years other than the Healthy Choice Mushroom Soup that I use a couple of times a year for my baked Salisbury Steak, because we can't do msg in anything - migraines set in, and most canned soups contain it. Ouch!!!

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart