Skip to main content

Homestead Tidbits ~ Red Raspberry Plants


The snow did not hurt my daffodils, or even the new sprouts of green onions in my herb garden.

I purchased two red raspberry plants and those are now planted too.  I'm not sure how long it will take for us to get berries, but I am anxious to harvest them.


Now that I know more about the two organic labeled brands of milk at our local grocer, we may keep some of the goats for another year.  It's the only "real" milk supply we can locate.  After reading an article published this past February about Horizon milk, and how they were found to have supplied their milk from penned cattle, and not grazing cattle, for the third time no less, I am apprehensive about buying organic milk in stores. 

A beam fell in one of the barns we store garden/mower items, as well as the camper.  Not what I wanted to wake up to see today.  I am praying Hubby has time, and help to fix it (and soon).
 
I've already been outside weed-whipping.  To be honest, it felt good to be out there to get things pretty again.    I definitely need a lot more tulips planted. I think I will go fetch the morning eggs and make myself some breakfast.  A teensy bit of rain is on the way.



Comments

Sandra said…
Raspberries are one of my favorites.
I need to replant some.
funnyfacejess said…
Enjoy your beautiful life! :-) Someday I hope it will be me writing about gathering the morning eggs and getting milk from my goats.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart