Skip to main content

Rain Barrel Updates ~ Good Baking/Cooking Day




                                                                 (photos from 2013)


Last year we purchased two different types of rain barrels - one that looks like a half barrel with a screen on top and a brass spigot at the bottom, and a square one with a hose (you can still attach a garden how to it).  I prefer the square one.  The barrel in the top photo have an overflow that is too close to the foundation (both purchased at Menards).  The screen lifts out and flows off in overflow action as well.  It still works, but I wanted to share.


The second rain barrel has a hose, which does have an on/off switch, a cap, and it's threaded to attach a garden hose.  The overflow is a long hose (tan one to the very right of it).  You can pull the overflow hose out to keep the water from being too close to the foundation.  The top screen did pop off once, and I keep a heavy rock on top.

This year they did not crack over winter.  I think draining them and turning them upside down was a good decision.  However, after setting up the barrel looking ones (empty), just before this next rain we got, we had high winds.  The wind took that barrel and blew it onto the sidewalk.  It damaged the spigot.  You can buy a replacement with a screen, for just under $20, but they (the spigot) seems to be cheaply made.  Next year I will put some well water in them to keep them in place until it rains.




With all that rain yesterday I had a good day indoors to bake another blueberry-buttermilk coffee cake.  This time I added homemade lemon extract, as well as my vanilla.



My family is so spoiled, and my Mom's stove-top tuna and noodle casserole just got better.  I made it with organic butter, organic wheat flour, homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup and that expensive tuna I blogged about.  Yum!  Where this quick meal used to be served weekly as my kids were very young, it is now a cherished once-in-a-great-while meal.  Tuna at $4.69 will be worth waiting for.

I spent time in the kitchen to mix up several batches of homemade condensed cream of chicken.  I need to make a few more and then some celery soup too.  This way, when I need to make an old-fashioned quick casserole, I'll have the creamed soups on hand.  

Comments

I love the homemade creamed soups. I'm a big fan.
I got my recipe from Amy D. (The Tightwad Gazette) years ago.
that casserole DOES LOOK DELISH!
Is it being served with homegrown carrots? (or sweet potato?) hard to tell
Pat
Pat,those are sweet potatoes baked in brown sugar, cinnamon and olive oil.
Liz said…
I want to get a rain barrel for the new house. I didn't know Menards sold them will have to check it out. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart