Skip to main content

Broody Hen ~ Pie Pan "Bird Bangers" ~ Canned Tuna


We have one hen that refuses to get off the eggs.  The problem?  Well, Sparta is in the dog kennel, so the eggs have zero chance of fertilization.  Go figure.  It's the perfect time to let her sit on some, but we can't.  Sparta has a lot of healing to do first.




Last year I tied pie pans to recycled metal tent poles, and placed them in the strawberry beds.  When the wind blows, they bang and scare off the birds.  I know it's kind of "hill billy" but it works.

This spring I reset three of them, and I noticed it even keeps the hens out of them (if there is wind).  I may have to add a few more to my herb garden too (or fence the chickens near the barn). 

Canned Tuna

 Real tuna does exist!  I found this "Wild Planet" brand in the organic section of our grocery store.  Can you read the label? It says "No liquid or fillers added, No BPA used in can lining, and Non GMO"  The ingredients are tuna and sea salt.  That's it.

The cost?

The soy filled tuna sells for 10 for $10 on most days here.  This is the problem we have today.  The can of Wild Planet tuna cost me $4.69.  I'll be savoring this can of tuna, and I'll be watching for sales on it.  I can't tell you how many nights we ate tuna and noodle casserole when the kids were very young.  That's a lot of soy I didn't even know I was ingesting or feeding my family.

Comments

Willow said…
Thank you for introducing me to that brand of Tuna !
Kelly said…
I wonder if the pie plates would scare off roly poly's. They ate 1/2 my strawberries last year :/
Willow, you are welcome.
Kelly, I also plant some of my onions in with strawberries, to deter bugs.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart