Skip to main content

Farmgirls Ain't Afraid to Get Dirty ~ New Blackberry Bushes

Although I have just begun, you can see that this herb garden is cleaning up nicely already.  I have much more to do, but it's starting to look much better since the goat somewhat destroyed it.  I am taking advantage of any good weeding weather day here.

Want to see what Hubby bought me?


I love it!  Ha ha!  On his way home from work last night, he said he bought me something, because he knew I'd "like it."





Timmy (top photo) and Aurora (bottom photo) were "chillin" on the porch with me late afternoon.  I sipped green iced tea and crocheted, and they slept.  Even though we had an overcast day, the temperatures were perfect for outdoor work.

(rose bed waiting to be weeded.  We did use newspapers to keep the weeds and grass coming up, but as you can see, it needs weeded regardless)

Two rain barrels are now back in place.  My winter rain barrel care will soon be tested with the spring rains.  I have two more to set back up today.

I sent Hubby to the store (on his way home from work) for two blackberry plants.  He came home with four.  Good thing I did not send him for the two red raspberry starter plants, as he would have come with six! Ha ha!  I think he's a little anxious to grow some new fresh fruit.  Either way, these plants will be a blessing.



I am getting a bit of color in my flower beds now too.  If you look up at the first herb garden photo, you can see a few daffodils too. 






There are more colorful hyacinths coming up too.  My lilac bush now has buds on it.  I can't wait to sit on the porch and smell that wonderful fragrance they produce.

As for my allergies, my natural remedy is working so good it is drying me out too much.  So, thankfully, I decided to try my homemade vapor-rub, since it is made from coconut oil.  It works great.  I am so glad I made it.  It's kind of tough trying to run a humidifier when the windows are now open. 

Happy Earth Day!

Comments

Liz said…
So nice to see some favorite flowers in bloom! The herb garden is looking good! I planted red raspberries yesterday.
Mama Pea said…
I'm experiencing spring time and getting out in the dirt through you. Still too much snow and wet and bit of frost here to do it.

I've tried to grow blackberries up here (I love them), but we just don't have a warm enough climate. Raspberries though . . . they grow like gangbusters.
Mama Pea said…
P.S. So glad to hear you're able to keep your allergies under control this spring!
EMMA said…
How sweet is your husband!!
Michelle said…
I have that some shirt. Mine is from Tractor Supply. I finally got peaches and pums this year. Praying we don't get a freeze.
Beansieleigh said…
LOL!!.. LOVE the t-shirt! ~tina

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart