Skip to main content

Spring Snow? ~ Tidbits



My daffodils and hyacinths are now buried in snow.  It was just in the 70's yesterday and raining.  Not today.  The high will be barely in the 40's.  



The kids have been wearing capri's, shorts and flip flops, but not today.  They won't be hanging out on the porch, painting their toe nails and lounging either.  I hope this is our last snow. 

I did not get much housework done yesterday.  I did not even get a teensy bit of handiwork done either.  I did however get almost 700 words written. 

This may be the last year for me to drive goats to the vet too.  Daughter put all the goats up for sale (except the two in milk, but will also be up for sale this fall).  We have a prospective buyer coming to look at two of them.  Sadly, this may be our last year for goat's milk and soap making.  I just could not agree to take them over, and the younger two have no interest in learning to be a "back-up" for me. So....life may change for us here.   We simply pick up and move on.

Today should be a bit more prosperous.  I think I'll start the day by making some ham bone soup in the crock pot. 

I finished my 3030 challenge with Joyce Meyer (studying the Bible for 30 days straight for 30 minutes each day), and I have joined another challenge - Make 1 Break 1 (Make a good habit, break a bad habit).   What bad habit could you change?

The girls have so much homework right now.  With all the school they missed (due to so much snow and closings), they have been given what is called "Blizzard Bags."  They are buried in homework.  So much they have no time at all for themselves.  Literally.  


Comments

Willow said…
Ack ~ I feel for you .
NO not snow.
Sending warm wishes,
Willow
EMMA said…
Sorry to hear that you will be parting with your goats!
Good work on the writing front, was it work related or just pleasure?
We don't have snow days here - the kids go to school regardless of the amount of snow we get. Do your schools close due the the amount of snow fall or because of low temperatures?
Emma, most of the closings here were from bitter temperatures or so much snow the roads were not clear. We have what they call level alerts. On a level 3 folks are not to be on the roads so the workers can clear them, and if you are caught you get ticketed.
RB said…
We lost all our hyacinths and all of our tulips but two last snow. I suppose we'll lose those two tonight. Our daffodils did fine, but four of our five new dogwoods that we planted last fall didn't. Such is life!!!

Sorry to hear about the goats. Hope they aren't going to end up as someone's dinner. But I understand, goats are a handful.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart