Skip to main content

A Trip to Town ~ Asparagus Harvest



I finally located some granny smith apple trees, and picked one up, along with a new Eastern redbud.  The tree that Son replanted last year died, so I want to put the new redbud in it's place.

 
While I was in town (for a gloriously expensive dentist visit), I decided to stop in to Hobby Lobby and see what they had for #5 cotton thread yarn.  Like I had any money left to spend, right?



Wa-la!  I came home with some new colors.  Shhh! Don't tell Hubby.  You'll get to see what I'm making with it soon.  I hope anyway.



While hauling the apple tree out to get planted, I noticed that some our asparagus is ready to harvest.  Although it's not always enough, picked in one day, I can place them in a bit of water (in a canning jar) in the fridge as I continue to pick each day.  Then we can enjoy it at dinner.  Interesting enough, you can see the stalks are all different sizes.  Makes you wonder how they get them all the same size in the grocery store.





Comments

Kelly said…
Thanks for the asparagus tip. I have let a lot of mine ruin since I didn't know what to do with it while waiting on more :/ I was about to google freezing it but your way looks easy :)))))
Kelly, so far it's keeping it nice and fresh. Last year, I used plastic bags and it went limp in a day.
Michelle said…
Yes thanks for the tip .I have some in the frig in a plastic bag. Will be putting it in water.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart