Skip to main content

Birthday Dinner ~ Sorghum Candy Making


Youngest asked for me (for her 13th birthday dinner) to make a few new recipes - Pumpkin and Sage Baked Macaroni, and Italian Oven Roasted Cauliflower. 


(Cauliflower dish)


(Pumpkin Macaroni Dish)

Both were super easy to make,
and incorporate my homegrown veggies, and herbs.  Now...if I just had some goat's milk I could make the pasta dish with homemade ricotta too.  I loved the fact I could utilize fresh sage and parsley, and my home canned tomato paste for these.  Oh, and homemade garlic powder.  Both had the garlic, so they kind of went together I think.

Although both recipes contain cheese, they were fabulous dishes that Youngest picked out.  I told her the only thing missing was a side of greens (he he!).  

I doubled both recipes.  For the cauliflower dish, we used one entire 4 oz canning jar of home canned tomato paste.  For the pumpkin macaroni dish I doubled everything but the ricotta and mozzarella (only adding a cup more of each).  Since my pumpkin puree was frozen in pint containers, I used an entire container too.  It worked great. 
 

Both dishes are completely vegetarian too.  She did not plan for that, but it just worked out for us.

I finally got around to making one batch of Sorghum candy.  This stuff is so good you should try it at least once.  This is how it looks after I pour in the sorghum.  You don't even stir this stuff much either. 


When it comes off the burner, I whisk in baking soda and pour it (not stirring it or spreading it) onto parchment paper.  There is always a little that won't come out of the pan.  I carefully help it out.  You let this cool completely.

I break it up into bite-size pieces (carefully).  It has a very light honey-comb texture, so breaking them too small can smoosh the candy.

I then melt dark chocolate, and dip the pieces, resting them on waxed paper until they set.  

My family (extended) has never had this candy before.  This year, instead of making my traditional toffee (which is very good too), I made this to share.  I'm currently seeking permission to post the recipe on my blog. 


Do you ever look at your blog "audience" that is reading your blog?  

I've been checking lately, and find it interesting that folks in Russia, Pakistan, Spain, Poland. United Kingdom, Canada, France (waving to Emma), Australia, China , Greece, India, and other countries are reading my blog.  You can even see what countries are reading it at that very moment too.  Just sharing. . .

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I've got to try that candy and I'm not even a candy lover. I bake cookies at Christmas. Today I'm baking bread and making sugar cookies. It's just me and the girls (2 dogs and a cat) but we have a great Christmas Eve snacking and watching movies and tomorrow I'll cook a ham dinner and the kids will all call and I might even get to Skype with one while he opens his presents from Grandma! LOL! The best of the holidays to you and your family and Merry Christmas.
Oh, the veggie dishes looked really good too!
Kim said…
I am waiting on the candy recipe. I have a fresh quart of sorghums that are made at a farm down the road.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart