Skip to main content

Closet Update ~ Sharing Tea Knowledge ~ Homemade "Vaseline"

My extreme closet cleaning was 90% successful.  Okay, maybe 80%, but I am still pleased.  I listed all my current projects (which were way fewer this time) in my crafting journal, just to make sure this mind of mine didn't forget them again.  One empty plastic storage drawer is now labeled "current project" so I stay on task with one until it's done.  Then I can move on to the next.

Several things made it to the donation pile, one garbage bag was filled, and a few pieces of clothing were passed down.

I still need to go in and vacuum (yes there is carpet in there), and work on the rest, but it feels so good to get it done.  The sun was out all day too.  I even put on some music.


Mid way through cleaning, I stopped to run to the post office and ship mullein tea leaves to my sister-in-law.  By the way, Carolyn, thank you for mentioning mullein, or I would have never tried it myself if you hadn't mentioned it.   It's worked wonders here.  I'm still reading through herbal books and tea recipes as well.
 
Our post office, or I should say the closest one, reduced their window hours, to two hours on weekday business days.  Kind of sad, because I do know they get business, especially from me.

Anyway, a box of tea leaves, spearmint leaves and some dried elderberries are heading to Sister-in-Law. 


~ Homemade "Vasoline" ~

I love to learn new things, and Mama Pea got my "wheels turning" on learning to make my own "Vaseline."


The first time I made homemade vapo-rub I made it with olive oil (vs. coconut oil the second time) and it was too soft in my opinion.  But...it was soft enough for a makeup remover, so I got to playing around in the kitchen (again).



Beeswax is so hard and difficult to grate, so I opted for beeswax pastilles that I had on hand.  Mix it with organic olive oil and wa-la!  Homemade "Vaseline."

Melt 2 Tablespoons of organic beeswax pastilles with 1/2 cup organic olive oil.  I put a small metal pan over a pan of heated water to melt the beeswax down (I have dishes I only use for this type of recipe, I don't use my daily food dishes/pans).  I poured it into recycled baby food jars and allowed them to set.  This amount filled a 4 oz. glass baby food jar to the top.  I was afraid I would need a second jar, so I did have one on hand.

We can use the "vasoline" to remove makeup, put on dry lips, or anything else normally used for.

I forgot to let you know that the spool Christmas ornament is now on S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot.

Now....if we can just get some good weather over the weekend, we can get caught up on wood splitting (again).


Comments

Mama Pea said…
So. What do you do with all your spare time of a day?? ;o]
Mama Pea, I almost spit out my coffee reading your comment. ha ha!
Carolyn said…
Glad you tried the mullien, it's our "go-to" plant around here and I tell EVERYONE about it. It's especailly nice because here in the Ozarks, it's around almost all year round, not as abundant in the winter, but if you find a sheltered spot, you can still find some fresh stuff.
Carolyn, if you find any other natural goodies, be sure to let us know.
Ok... I'm just saying right now. I've followed you for years, and being a 'journaler' in SOME areas-- I don't have a CRAFT JOURNAL; except for what might get posted on my blog.
You get your crafts done, no matter how big or small- and you keep lists of
"to be crafted" items.
You've SOLD ME ON THE IDEA. I'm going to do this!

homemade vaseline sounds interesting.
I'm going to keep this one ...for later. Pinning it.

Just a note...
I made your Hot Chocolate... YUMMIE!
my grand kids are getting some in their personalized mugs. :)
Patricia, I'm glad your grand kids love the hot chocolate. The crafting journal was one I bought many years ago, with planning pages in it. If you can't find one already made, you could easily make one with a binder or simply a notebook. It helps me remember what I need to get done, and I even list ideas for next projects (or gift ideas to make).
Sam I Am...... said…
Love the homemade vaseline recipe. Thank you! Plus, I am needing a craft journal but I had one and it got "lost in the shuffle" so I've put mine on Outlook now on my "never-ending" to-do list. I have categories of the various areas of my life...cleaning, cooking, personal etc. Thank you for all your great ideas!
GrannyAnnie said…
Glad I saw this. I make a homemade "vaseline" but am not happy with the texture. I have been thinking of using the beeswax. I think I will try this with some rice bran oil.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart