Skip to main content

The Friday Thing

When I worked full time (and lived in the city) I always looked forward to Fridays.   Now, Fridays are no different than any other day, because Saturday's start with barn chores.  That's okay too.  Although on Saturdays and Sundays I have Hubby home to help, and the kids too.


Yesterday it was Alias's day to visit the vet.  I forgot to put his harness on him (I wasn't even thinking), vs. his collar, and I had a bit of trouble with his pulling.  I made it home without him pulling me down (he's a strong dog for 14 years old).  The vet was very surprised.  The last visit (one year ago), Alias had pretty bad cataracts.  Yesterday, he was stumped.  The cataracts are receding.  He's now updated with shots and very healthy according to the vet.  
 



We had a high school concert choir concert to attend last night, so I opted for making us an easy lentil casserole to go with any leftovers, and also boiled a dozen eggs for those wanting a sandwich (or just a boiled egg).


It had been a while since a baked with lentils, so it was due time. And it's something the kids will eat.  As for the concert, we did enjoy it, but it was all slow songs.  We would like to hear an up-beat, dance in your seats song, but all slow songs nearly put us to sleep.  Especially at that time of night.  Christmas time should be joyous and entertaining, right?

I'll be sharing another ornament soon.  It appears that I have gifted so many over the years, that I (due to recent discussion) need to gift something else (trees are overflowing from gifting them).  The ornaments I am about finished making will go in boxes for each of the kids.  Years ago, I started a small box for each child, so when they had their own tree, they had a little bit from home to decorate.  As far as making something different to gift (at this late date), I'll have to be creative.  I also used to send a box to my Aunt every Christmas, and she'd share with her kids.  It feels odd not to send one this year.

By this time last year, we would have baked up four or five different cookies already.  I'll be honest, it's been nice not too.  Not that we are not celebrating the Christmas season, but we are not eating all those sweets.  We may start making some hard candy, but time will tell.  It appears if the weather breaks, we'll split more wood.

I think well enjoy some time as a family, watching some Christmas movies.  In fact, that sounds good. Daughter has drill already this weekend, so that will make the evenings fun around here.
 


Comments

EMMA said…
I haven't made 'your' lentil casserole for so long - i'd completely forgotten about it and my boys like it so much!
Great news about Alias's eyes and Sadie doing so well too - must be a relief. Just noticed my pooch has red eye so we'll probably need a trip to the vet on monday (unless you have a good home made lotion recipe...)
Making up a batch of your homemade hot chocolate this weekend - for my nephew who has recently gone to uni - going to gift him a big jar of it and a big mug and some homemade sweet treats for christmas.
Mama Pea said…
Regarding Alias' vet visit, they say the human body is amazing in the way it can heal itself given the proper nutrition and environment. Maybe it's true with animals, too, do you think?

How long is your daughter home for?
Emma, the hot chocolate makes a wonderful gift. I don't have any lotion recipes for dog's eyes, but you'd think I would, right? Ha ha!
Mama Pea, Daughter will be able to report for her duty here in our state, so we'll get to see her a lot more often. It's only a few hours away, even if she moves directly there.
glad to hear all this good news. Alias check up and his eyes! that is wonderful.
I read in the comments that daughter will be closer now, reporting in state... that's gotta make a momma feel good!
Haven't had any Christmas dramas this year... but the Honey have been watching our share of Movie Favorites!
I was just about to look for a hot chocolate recipe... I'll give yours a go!
I bought mugs for each of the Grands last year after Christmas... 10 cents each! I almost forgot about them, until earlier in the week, I found them! SURPRISE!
have a nice weekend. :)
Michelle said…
We are also trying to cut back on sweets. But without much luck. I keep seeing all these great recipes and a course I just have to try them. LOL
RB said…
I think I'd like some of Alias' medicine, whatever it was cause I'd love for my cataracts to suddenly start receding without surgery.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart