Skip to main content

Handmade Hand Lotion ~ Tidbits


I've been wanting to try this recipe all year, and finally got around to making it.  I don't have the preservative for the updated recipe, and I used lemon essential oil (organic of course).


I found the recipe at A Sonoma Garden if you are interested in it.  Her site has many recipes too.

My initial plan was for gifting extended family, but one brother has a baby and Mom babysits.  I didn't think handling Baby B with essential oil hand lotion was a good idea.  I haven't made the recipe without the oil, but I am thinking I could simply make some unscented.     

My girls and I love lemon, so we opted for that essential oil, but lavender or orange would be nice too.   We'll give this a "whirl" and see if we like it first.  I don't like to gift anything I haven't tried first.  It was very easy to make, so I hope it turns out to be a nice (and beneficial) lotion.

The only problem is finding decent jars for the lotion.  I may end up simply using canning jars.  Next, I must look into the preservative and see if it's safe. 

Critter update:  so far whatever was under the house has left.  We think anyway.  One brave soul will be taking a flashlight and making sure, but we may just get some marshmallows anyway.  I told Hubby about the tip on marshmallows and raccoons.  


Hubby update:  He's on the mend, but refuses to be seen by the doctor.  The swelling has gone down and it hurts a lot less, so that is a good thing.  I warned him of a fracture too.  


Sadie update:  She's doing so well, she comes to us now and begs for her homemade food.  I'll be calling the vet today to find out when her stitches (and staples) come out.  Her next batch of food will be beef, peas and a different grain.  I really do feel the food makes a difference.  I am praying we can continue to do this, and possibly for the other dogs.  I do feel commercial dog food (and cat food) is full of unhealthy ingredients.  In this past year, Mattie has gotten cancer, Jesse had a tumor removed, and now has another one, and then Sadie's health issues.



Mattie was sitting on Daughter's Army bag, which was on a box of items she shipped home.  It was so cute I had to take a picture.  We are not the only ones patiently waiting for her arrival, ha ha! 

Comments

Susan said…
Thank you for the link to the hand lotion recipe. I am curious to see how you and your daughters like it. I have been looking for an easy recipe and this seems perfect. Where do you get your essential oils? I agree with your feelings about pet food. I try to buy high-end kibble and supplement with homemade. It's pricey, but the alternative is pricier.
Mama Pea said…
As far as jars to put your hand lotion in, have you seen those jelly (canning) jars that are low and fat? Their wide mouth would be good for dipping in to get a blob of the lotion. An expense to buy but if you end up having to use canning jars anyway . . .
Susan, I get my oils from Mountain Rose Herbs, but I did locate a health store that sells oils as well. We do buy a higher quality dog food (soy free). We have large dogs, other than Jesse, so they do eat more (making homemade pricey too). It's frustrating.
Mama Pea, I forgot about that style of jars. I gifted cinnamon-honey-butter for Christmas in those jars. I'll have to dig around and see if anyone returned those to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart