Skip to main content

A bit of baking ~ Dog Pile

Our 18 year-old was not agreeing with my cookie "cut back" and is busy baking in the kitchen.  She made the dough yesterday, and is already baking them.  At least she is agreeing to a select few, as I suggested.



She insisted on a few of our favorites.  One is a recipe called "Angel Cookies" but we use it for our "cut out" recipe every year (butter frosting).  




I actually found it reading a book I borrowed from the library many years ago.  I enjoy reading Christmas related books, especially during summer (strange I know), and had picked it off the shelf on a whim.  I don't recall if the story was really good or not, but the cookie recipe is a "keeper."  We use organic flour, butter etc. and our homemade vanilla.


Son arrived home safely.  I had to laugh when I took a peek in his room.  All three dogs were in there, and two on the bed with him. Sadie was on the floor "guarding" him so he can sleep in and rest up from all that traveling.  Alias hasn't left his side.  I'm pretty sure the dogs will be piled up on his bed all week long.

 

Comments

Susan said…
I love that your daughter bakes! And I can just see the dog pile.
Mama Pea said…
Oh, gosh. Not only are the dogs thrilled to pieces having your son home, but I'll bet it feels just plain WONDERFUL to your son to be sleeping (as long as he wants!) in his own bed with his faithful, cuddly companions.

What a blessed Christmas you will have with your whole family together. Happy, happy, happy!
Sam I Am...... said…
So happy your son made it home alright as travel is starting to get bogged down with bad weather. Mostly fog and rain but it looks like you might be one of the few who gets a white Christmas! Lucky you! Merry Christmas!
I will be making cookies tomorrow..Christmas Eve, it was Walmart today but hopefully I won't have to go out now until January!
EMMA said…
I wish I had someone who took charge of cookie making around here!!!(does she clean up afterwards too?)
Enjoy your son while he is home - that is if the dogs are willing to share him.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
festive hugs to all
Emma
Emma she did clean up the dishes too. Yay!

Thanks ladies for all the wonderful comments. I ended up taking a photo of Son with the dog pile (he he!)
RB said…
So blessed one of your soldier's is home for CHRISTmas. Lord, keep them all safe.

I remember the first time I saw cut out cookies as a child. It was at the house of a friend of our Mother's named Joan. I may have been 4-5 and I'd never seen anything so beautiful in my life, and the bonus was, they tasted wonderful too. Our Mother got the recipe, but never had the time to make intricate cookies like that. However, I found out later that our Sister Cindy got some of Mom's recipes, had this one and used it many holiday seasons. The trick, IMO anyway, was to roll them thin, and once baked, ice them liberally (very-lol). Then they'd melt in your mouth when you took a bite. Yum!!!

God bless.

RB
<><
RB said…
So blessed one of your soldier's is home for CHRISTmas. Lord, keep them all safe.

I remember the first time I saw cut out cookies as a child. It was at the house of a friend of our Mother's named Joan. I may have been 4-5 and I'd never seen anything so beautiful in my life, and the bonus was, they tasted wonderful too. Our Mother got the recipe, but never had the time to make intricate cookies like that. However, I found out later that our Sister Cindy got some of Mom's recipes, had this one and used it many holiday seasons. The trick, IMO anyway, was to roll them thin, and once baked, ice them liberally (very-lol). Then they'd melt in your mouth when you took a bite. Yum!!!

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart