Skip to main content

Hot chili for a cold day

Considering I was on the go for the last few nights, we have not had a good hot meal. I opened the freezer and pantry, and whipped up a crock pot of chili.  

Over summer I did not have enough jalapenos to pickle any, so I sliced and froze them in baggies.  For the chili, I simply took out some, and finely chopped them while frozen.  They chopped so nicely too.

I am thrilled with the tomato paste I canned too.  I was saying my thanks for every item we where blessed with over summer, and stocked up, as I made the dinner.


Everything that went
into the chili, aside from organic grass fed beef, organic canned red kidney beans, cumin and chili powder (I didn't have any kidney beans in the freezer already cooked up), came from our hard work (onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green bell peppers and jalapenos).  It was such a good feeling to know we've come so far in growing and raising what we eat.

Cornbread sounded good, so I made that too.  


Barn duties involved frozen watering units again, but I needed the walking so I didn't care.  I think I brought in 10 eggs, so I'll set some to rest in the fridge to boil a week or so.


I keep forgetting to share this.  We found organic candy canes at the grocery store.  These are pretty good too.  


Sadie continues to do well - eating(but not much), drinking, walking and resting up.  Today, I am making her homemade dog food.  I've ordered a few reference materials from the library so I can research supplements dogs need in their homemade food.  Today's food will be organic chicken, organic carrots, and oatmeal with a dab of vegetable oil. 

Speaking of the library, they are probably wondering what happened to me lately.  So....today's agenda?  Write down all the titles I have out, return them, and get them out when I have time (one at a time this time).  

The to-do list is still being worked on.  It's about half crossed off, but much to catch up on.

If feels weird not sharing any current handiwork, but I hope to have something to share later this month.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Yesterday we finished off a batch of spaghetti that the two of us got three meals from. The first night I serve the sauce over the cooked pasta, then I combine the leftover sauce and pasta that we have for a couple more meals. 'Tis a good time of year for spaghetti and meat sauce. (Chili, too!)

Sounds as if Sadie is making a good recovery. Animals know when they shouldn't overload their healing systems with food . . . if only we humans were the same! She doesn't have to wear a collar to keep her from "bothering" her incision?
Susan said…
I know what you mean about cooking with the 'fruits' of your labors. It is so satisfying. That chili looks great! I had canned some for the first time last year and it turned out wonderfully. Glad Sadie is coming along well. It's good that you caught her condition so early.
It's nice to cook food that you've grown or otherwise provided with hard work and your own hands! Whenever we're able... I try to do that. Like you, I'm grateful for every meal that we're given!
I have to say, i've been following the saga with Sadie but haven't commented. It made me cry! I hate when people have sick fur-babies. Just knowing how close your daughter is to this girl was another aspect...and part of the tear jerking. I'll tell you... I watched an episode of M.A.S.H. on T.V. the other night ...there was a stray in the camp--not supposed to be there, but Maj. Houlian was smitten with and she bawled when the dog died... (spoiler alert) I bawled too!
Glad to hear your Sadie is home and on the mend...she has a good family taking care of her.
Mama Pea, pasta dishes sound very good right now. As for Sadie her incision is in her belly area, but they did shave her neck a bit to draw blood too.
Susan, Sadie was fine one day and completely not herself the next morning. Very scary.
Patricia, I probably would have bawled my eyes out watching that show too.
Beansieleigh said…
Great minds think alike?.. I've been absolutely craving a nice hot bowl of chili, and I always make corn bread for on the side! Thanks for the inspiration... Getting the crockpot out. I think I know what we're having for dinner! :)
RB said…
I make chili in the crock pot often, with any kind of beans I have available. It's good whether you use kidney beans, or canelini beans or even pinto beans, in fact we like canelini beans better because their skin is more tender and they're creamier. At times, I've even put raw potato cubes in it to bulk it up if I have some taters that need used. And if there's not enough leftovers for another full meal, I add macaroni and it is, cheaply too.

Continuing in prayer for the doggie. A bit of olive oil is a good additive to their food too.

And I'm trying to figure out when was the last time I saw candy canes with gluten or peanuts, but ya never know, do ya. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart