Skip to main content

Storm Prep ~ Second "Pop Test"

Sunday was a full work day here - wood pellets restocked, wood cut, split and stacked, animal feed restocked, and  chicken coop cleaned.  Water jugs were also filled. Around here any type of storm can cut out our electricity, and we have yet to buy our generator.  That's next on the preparedness list.

Tonight we are re-securing the snow fence, in anticipation of bad wind, rain and maybe snow.  We may even have a white Christmas this year.

Although they are talking about "storms" they are also saying it is not the worst storm to come through.  So we are praying for good travel weather for friends and family.


Next year I'll allow more time for Christmas gifts. This last project is not really that grand of a project, but more so time consuming.

It began in the yarn aisle at the store.

It was November.  I told Hubby to never leave my side (again) when we are out shopping together, and there is a yarn section in the store.  

When he left my side, I wandered.

I wandered right to the yarn aisle.  That is what has gotten me into trouble this year - taking on new projects so close to Christmas.




Last night Hubby and I did our second "pop test" with our home grown Dakota Black (non-gmo/organic) popcorn.

Absolutely delicious!  It popped almost all the kernels this time.  

Drying tip:  I simply put the ears of corn in a cardboard box near the wood pellet stove.  Every so many days, I would move the ears of corn around in the box to help rotate them to dry.  It worked perfect.  

I giggled to myself last night.  I felt like I was Carolyn in Little House on the Prairie, laying in bed eating popcorn with her Hubby (while he read).  Only we were watching Christmas movies.

We'll definitely be growing popcorn again.  What a nice, healthy snack too.  I'm glad my kids could experience too.

I may be sharing a few new recipes soon.  Youngest wants a "healthy dinner" for her birthday dinner, and she's picked out two new recipes to try. One involves thawing homegrown pumpkin (puree).


Comments

Mama Pea said…
We've been warned of really nasty weather for the next several days, too. Starting with rain, then freezing drizzle turning to snow. How's that for perfectly awful weather for those who have to travel for Christmas? Ugh. So far today the temp has hung around 35-36° so no ice or other bad stuff yet.

I love that you say your youngest has asked for a "healthy dinner" for her birthday. (As if you don't cook healthy all the time!) But I know what you're saying in that birthday dinner requests can sometimes include not-so-healthy goodies they don't get other times. You'll have to be sure to tell us what her special dinner turned out to be.
Congrats on the yummy corn friend! It looks beautiful!!! And well done on getting ready for anything....I hope the storm wasn't too bad! Wishing you a blessed Christmas! Nicole xoxo
Sam I Am...... said…
So glad you got all that work done in order to "weather the storm" when it comes. It's such a good feeling to be prepared. I went today and got supplies for quite awhile and ingredients to make granola too.
Oh! BTW, I made that black bean and sweet potato chili and it is a real "Winner"!!! I love it! And crock pot too? Double win! Thank you so much....it's a keeper!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart