Skip to main content

Homemade Applesauce


I was starving for a good breakfast, so I tossed onions, potatoes, green pepper and zucchini in a pan to cook for
another omelet.  



While the veggies softened, I cut up nine pounds of organic red delicious apples.  I simply core them, and quarter them, and heat with a bit of water.  I then run it through my sauce maker and put it back on the stove to thicken. I do not add anything to my applesauce.  The kids typically sprinkle organic cinnamon on it when they eat it anyway.






I got 6 pints of canned applesauce.    But it wasn't easy.

URRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH!  May I vent for a moment?

The brand new burner I replaced gave out on me.  It was heating, but not all the way to "high."  I had just put all the jars back in the canner and I noticed nothing was happening for an overly long time period.  I switched it to the back burner, and prayed.  After a few minutes I leaned over to see if the burner was getting red.  Yep.  Only I saw flames.  Something in the burner pan was on fire.  No biggy I thought.  I pulled the canner off, and looked.  Whatever it was, it appeared to be something spilled that went down under the burner pan.  I sprinkled a bit of baking soda to dowse the flames, and put the canner pot back on.  I prayed again.  Was this really happening?  I cannot afford a new stove.  I cannot.  My winter prep list is stressing me out, and now THIS?!

I'll need to make applesauce a few more times before the snow arrives, but if the back burner gives out, I am in trouble.

Why make applesauce myself?  It eliminates chemicals, saves us money, and it's very versatile.   I use it for baking (waffles, pancakes, muffins, breads, cookies), in place of oil in many recipes, on meat dishes, for a side for breakfast, lunch or dinner, snacking, topping for gingerbread and other baked goodies, and even for applesauce and peanut butter sandwiches.  Organic applesauce here, costs about $4 for about a pint size jar.  I can buy three pounds of organic apples and get two pints. 

As a kid my Grandma on the Dad's side, would bring us a bushel basket of apples from her tree.  I was taught how to make applesauce using a metal strainer and pressing the apples through it by hand.  


Yesterday, I cut more spearmint to dry for winter teas, and took down my dried rosemary to put in a jar. 

The "garlic guy" was not at the last Farmer's Market. I am told many people had a bad garlic year, along with apples.  I am almost out of my garlic powder, so I am on the hunt for garlic (organic of course).  I use it all winter long.  Now I could go to the store and buy some, but what's the fun in that? Right?


Today I am Thankful for:
~ getting text messages from both my older soldier kids
~ for the perfect weather to work in the garden
~ for our garden bounty, what a blessing it is this year
~ God's Guidance
~ for having enough pint jars on hand to can the applesauce
~ for my sauce maker
~ the back burner that still works on the stove
~ windows
~ flowers all around us
~ the front porch




Comments

Mama Pea said…
We had only a little applesauce last year because our apple crop didn't mature properly. This year we have only about 7 apples on as many trees! A bummer of an apple year. But we're trying to get hold of a couple bushels of organic apples which are due to be harvested in a couple of weeks. Then we should be in applesauce heaven for the winter! We eat a lot of it as a "dessert" during the winter.

Here's hoping your stove burner hangs in there. Having appliances go on the fritz is the pits. :o(
Mama Pea, I love applesauce as a dessert. Yum. I just had some too. Next time I see organic apples, I'm snatching them up. Praying my stove holds out for me too.
Cris said…
If you lived closer, I'd let you borrow my single burner "hot plate". I lucked into it at a garage sale for $5, but you can find similar versions at any store that sells small appliances. I park it outside on a concrete paving stone, and use it to run my canner in really hot weather (I also use it to boil down maple syrup). It's basically a large size single electric burner--and is far cheaper than getting a whole new stove. If you get in a pinch with your stove not cooperating, investing in one of these single burners might get you through your winter prep/canning season!
Michelle said…
Have you tried cooking it over night in your crock pot. I do it in mine every year and it turns out great. This year I found garlic ( organic ) for 3 dollars for 3 pound. In this area that's a good price. I stored some but most of it was turned into garlic powder. So much better then the stores. I am going to try your omelet recipe tomorrow, it sounds really good.
Michelle and Cris, thank you both for your tips and suggestions. The single burner is a great idea too!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart