Skip to main content

Cooler weather ~ Dinners "on the fly"


Cooler weather means it's time to fill the jar of homemade hot chocolate.  Mmmm!   It also means I have to get laundry on the clothesline much earlier to completely dry.

Dinners here have been,what I call "on the fly."  I take whatever is in the garden and cook what ever comes to my mind.  

Recently I took a cabbage, some potatoes and boiled them with precooked sausage - a favorite recipe of my mother's.  I simply salt and pepper it and the family gobbles it down.  Another night we had breakfast for dinner.  It's amazing what you can bake/cook with eggs.

Looking around my kitchen, I have spaghetti squash, so I will roast one up tonight and use the last of some already open pizza sauce (in place of marinara sauce), and make a veggie side with whatever I have here. 

Speaking of cabbage, I reminded Hubby that if he digs me that root cellar next year, I can triple the harvest of cabbage and stock it up for winter.  He loves my Mom's recipe.  He's always bragged about his family frying it with bacon and onions, but now he's more opt to enjoy it my Mom's way.  I think every kid went back for seconds.  Also, if he digs that root cellar, I won't have to buy a pressure canner for canning potatoes etc.  Hence, less cost for jars.



I'm infusing another jar of honey with elderberries.  I'll be reusing the elderberries to make hot tea next time.   I'm already using the jar I just made, for making mullein tea with spearmint.  I now have two kids home sick - fever, vomiting.  My next order of elderberries can't come in soon enough.

I heard back from Daughter in GA yesterday.  She got the box of clothes I shipped her, along with a box of "happy."  This time her box of happy contained homemade chewy granola bars, and a box of red/white and blue band-aids.  

I also got a "Good Morning" text from Son.  When he gets off his fire watch (4:30am his time), it's about the time I'm getting around to start work here in the morning.




I finally had time to cut some holy basil to dry for winter teas.  My Valerian plants did not fair well.  We were just gone too much in July to keep it watered well.  I'll plant it again next year for sure.




As far as handiwork (fun) time, I've been painting old wide-mouth canning screw bands and lids.  I'll admit, I was quite surprised at how cute they turned out.  I found the cork rounds at our local Hobby Lobby.  They are easy to cut with scissors too.  Hubby wants a few on the front porch already (ha ha!).  He was complaining I had way too many used lids and screw bands in a kitchen drawer.  So....I decided to tackle a few.  Check it out over at my other blog: S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot.




Comments

Kim said…
Love the coasters! And that is how I cook all the time. Will have to try the cabbage your moms way. We eat it like your hub's family.
Kim, I put a bit of water in a pan that is deep with a lid. I layer chopped cabbage, sliced potatoes, and cooked ground sausage. Salt and pepper it, and that's it. I cook it with the lid on, until it's tender and the potatoes are cooked.
Unknown said…
I expect to see more of that cabbage dish soon. :)
Sandra said…
I love easy simple meals :)

The coasters are so cute, definitely something I would enjoy for myself.
Mama Pea said…
A couple of mornings ago, we had oatmeal with fresh blueberries so you know what we had for dinner . . . our usual breakfast of eggs and whatever side dish I can come up with. We often have breakfast for dinner . . . especially in cooler weather for some reason.

I'm going to do your cabbage, potato, cooked sausage dish. I know we'll like that! That would be good for breakfast made in a skillet with eggs on top.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart