Skip to main content

Laundry Soap ~ Stitched Cards

A few asked how I make my laundry detergent.  I simply grate a bar of unscented homemade goat's milk soap (you can use a bar of Zote as well), add 8 cups of water, and heat until melted.  I then add 1 1/2 cups borax and 1 1/2 cups washing soda, and continue to heat and stir until dissolved. . .


In a 5 gallon bucket, I pour in about 8 cups of hot water first, then pour in the heated mixture.  Stir until combined.  Then I continue to add hot water until my bucket is about 2 inches from being completely full.  Stir, and cool 24 hours.

When I am ready to use it, I open my bucket lid, and use a whisk to stir it.  I simply bought a dollar store whisk, and keep it in a recycled coffee can next to my bucket of laundry soap.  Then I measure about 1/4 cup for my front loading washer (it uses less than a standard washer).  

There are many other recipes for liquid and dry (homemade) laundry detergent, so this is not limited.  I tried a few until I found one I liked.  I don't like to use a powdered mix due to us using a well for our water).

This helps eliminate all the carcinogens in regular manufactured laundry detergent (and allergens).

I also make my own dishwasher detergent.  I mix 1 cup of borax and one cup of washing soda.  I mix this in an old food processor to break down all the hard clumps.  I store it in a recycled container under my sink.  I put 2 tsp. of the dry mixture in my dishwasher, and pour about 1 cup of white vinegar into the inside (bottom portion) of the dishwasher.




I finally got a tutorial written up on how I make the stitched note cards.  You can read it over at my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot


 Enjoy your day today!

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I appreciate getting your laundry soap recipe. The camping pics were fun to see. (You look like you're about 16 years old!)
Ha ha! Mama Pea, I'm far from 16, ha ha!
Susan said…
Wonderful photos! I would love to see your stitched notecard tutorial, but the link didn't work...
I will double check the link for you and fix it.
Okay, I fixed the link to the cards. Let me know if it still does not work for you. Sorry about that.
Michelle said…
I love homemade soap. We have been making our own for 3 years now. Not only is it cheaper. It works so much better then the stuff in the stores.
Sam I Am...... said…
What a cutie you are! I agree with your other commenter...you look about 16!
Thank you for the "liquid" laundry detergent recipe. I've made my own for years but powdered. Also, I needed a dishwasher detergent recipe and I LOVE the stitched cards. They are so cute!
Youngest is the one who braided my hair. It's actually french braided too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart