Skip to main content

Corn Relish ~ Random Tidbits


Hubby promised to do one job yesterday, so I opted for canning something quicker than tomato sauce related.  I used most of the leftover corn (off the cob) and picked some green and red peppers - corn relish.



I've never canned corn relish before, but I think it will be versatile - omelets, fish, chicken, sausage, burgers.  


What was Hubby's one job?  Disconnect the electric to the big barn.  It's falling apart and could fall down any day, in any storm, and snap that line.  

The job was not completed.  We don't have a tall enough ladder, so we'll try again tonight using a borrowed ladder (if we can locate one).



Yesterday I popped open a jar of homemade Balsamic Vinegar and Ruby Port Wine Jelly, and topped a cracker with homemade goat's milk cream cheese (okay so the cracker was not homemade).  It was awesome.  Oh my goodness.  Yum! 


I do make my own homemade wheat thins, but I just haven't had the time.  



Hubby fired up the wood splitter, while I picked green beans and spaghetti squash.  Later I joined him.  We had to do some repair work, but got it going, on one of the hottest days of course.  It's the only day off he had this weekend.  Basically, we are using a borrowed chain saw, and using a wedge and sledge hammer to split it up to sizes we and split on the splitter.  Hubby and I were so worn out since we had not split wood for a while.  We had a good laugh at each other not being able to move too fast after that.  And we have only just begun.

I have been talking to Son for the last few days.   He is graduating Marine Combat Training today and then flying to CA today for his next training (today).  
  

Comments

M.E. Masterson said…
I myself am not looking forward to cutting up wood. not only for us but for his parents and for their friends too!
Sandra said…
You are so good in the kitchen, my word, the things you make. The cracker with the goat's cheese and the jelly looks divine.

Hope you manage to get the electricity cut to the barn.
Sam I Am...... said…
The corn relish looks wonderful. I've never made it but it is now on my list next to the homemade crackers. Hats off to you and hubby working so hard in the heat.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart